What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody know what this is?

• Thread starter CPsInAtl
  • Start date
I got it on the cheap from a nursery in town that was moving and clearing out inventory.

bromiliadql9.jpg

Tillandsia cyanea

So I don't know a whole lot of Broms, but if that pink growth dies what happens?

xvart.

from my limited understanding, it will flower once, then that's it. It should produce offshoots that will themselves flower.

Right now it is in a little 2" pot. I am thinking about upping it to a 3" pot. Is it worth it, or just leave it be? Also, what is a good potting mix. I read someplace that peat/sand/orchid bark will do. So I guess grow it kinda like a nep, which is where it is growing as you can probably tell by my pic

Yeah, I knew about the dying after flowering on the bigger bowl ones, but didn't know if that held true to this type as well, since the flowers are quite different and spurt out the sides of that thing.

xvart.

I am not too familiar with broms, but I do have a few broms that have flowered, after it flowered I kinda just pulled the dead or dying flower out cuz it started to look nasty - the brom itself produced additional offshoots, but the broom with the flower still stayed alive, didn't die on me...

Lots of bromeliads get little blue flowers growing off the side or top of an inflorescence, which itself might be a crown or a blade or a slight mound. I've never been able to get a T cyanea to rebloom. They're easy to grow, but fussy to bloom.

Unlike many broms and especially other Tillandsias, a T cyanea prefer its feet to be in soil and wants to be watered conventionally. They should be sprayed/misted frequently, like others, but you should water the soil like a conventional plant too.

Keep an eye out for bromeliads on quick-sale racks, since the parent plant dies after blooming and they're often sold for a fraction of the original price afterwards. But that's when they grow their pups and some will grow many of them. Some will last a long time after blooming, but the clock is running and it'll never bloom again.

Back