What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brocchinia reducta cultivation questions

Most of the threads on this are relatively old. I'm curious as to what are the current popular cultivation techniques. I found someone who was willing to sell me a nice 6" specimen at a great price... so I jumped on it.

From what I gather they seem pretty bullet proof...

TIA,
Av

They do seem hardy. I've got one on the deck in full sun now.

It's too bad they'll never look as good in cultivation as they do in the wild. They're never as tight.

pic? :)

substrate?
temp range?
watering regiment?

details mate ;)

(BTW, killer watch Clint... sheesh Mom got taste..... and a lil coin LOL)

Well, thank you hehe. Mom didn't pick it out though, I did :p She wanted to buy a watch for me for graduation but she knows she can't shop for me :p She thinks it looks like a rapper's watch hehe. I didn't think it was over the top. I never did find online sources for new bands, though :( I don't remember seeing them when we got it (and you KNOW they'd overcharge anyway).

The substrate is whatever I had lying around. I just threw it in a bucket with some water lmao. Peat, LFS, perlite, some bark... they are supposed to be really easy and hardy (person I got it from wasn't even using pure water) but I guess no one has them because they're relatively boring. They really do look like any other boring plant. The waxy scales are REALLY prominent. So much so that it looks like baby powder was poured on the plant.

It's in shallow water with Sarracenia in full sun. As of right now the days are in 70's, but soon enough the days will be in the high 90's. This is Georgia, so it's VERY hot and humid in the summer. I'm sure it's not optimal but they supposedly take lowland temps just fine, and without a doubt your basement is more than adequate (but they supposedly really like a lot of light. A LOT and I presume that's why all of the B. reducta in cultivation look like crap compared to wild ones.

Yeppers bullet proof, here is a pic of it growing indoors for the winter. I currently have it under LED lights, curious as to how it responds.

Notice the battle scars. This poor plant has been dug up twice over the summer by raccoons. Once was in 95+ degree temps, when found it was almost beyond saving. The roots were sun baked and dry.

Its a wonder its alive :blush:

ledreducta.jpg

Av

My Brocchina Reducta arrived a few days ago. It's only an inch tall, but I transplanted it into a 5 inch pot with a soil consisting of peat, perlite, sand, and pumice. I now have it on my windowsill where it gets one hour of direct sunlight and the rest of the day being spent in bright shade. When the cold weather is over, I plan to move it outside where it will get several hours of direct sunlight.

How cold tolerant is it? It's going to be in the 40's at night for the next couple months with occasional cold snaps of about 28 degrees.

going by the temps of the tepuis, i would assume no frost or freezing... low 40's is prob a safe minimum... 28 would seem to be a big no no

Ahmad, there are a couple highly respected florida reducta growers... they usually hang out over at ICPS forum, you might try there for a more specific answer mate

sorry... I cant be of more help, but 28 would worry me
Av

man! I need to get one of these bro. I really love bromeliads. I want this as a companion plant. :p

I got your six covered mate,

patience...
Av

Back