What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will my Brocchinia reducta be okay?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I have a little Brocchinia reducta growing on my porch. Since I got new dogs back in December, a game we like to play is where we throw a tennis ball on the roof and when it comes off the roof, the dogs chase it.

Yesterday, my brother was doing this with the dogs, and the ball landed right on my baby Brocchinia. The center of the plant is all shattered and shredded and I thought at first a bird tore it up until I saw that there was a crater around the plant (just like if you were to drop a ball onto soil)

Will my Brocchinia reducta be okay? It's a really rare plant and I'm worried I might lose it.

I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow because it's too dark out now.

"Why So Serious"? Is there still a growth point and roots? If so, it may not be toast (not yet...).
Hey, wait! Where's that picture? This would be so much easier if you showed us the massacre!

Damn, I forgot to take pics. Well, it's sunset right now here in Florida, so I'll take some pics tomorrow when I'm out of school. Seriously

However, I repotted the plant today and I saw new growth in the center, and it still had some roots.

Okay, here's some pics of the plant. You can see some new growth in the center in one of the pictures.

InjuredBromeliad1.jpg

InjuredBromeliad2.jpg

Okay, here's some pics of the plant. You can see some new growth in the center in one of the pictures.

If there are signs of new growth, it'll live. Just give it time.

Exactly how slow do they grow? My plant looks the same as it did when I bought it, except it's a little more yellow and it lost some leaves.

How embarrassing. I don't know!

Well, my Brocchinia rotted away a few weeks ago. I'll try again sometime later.

Where you keeping it too wet? bromelaids don't like wet media, they like it on the drier side.

Where you keeping it too wet? bromelaids don't like wet media, they like it on the drier side.

I transplanted it to a clay pot, which dried out the soil. I then watered it, which then rotted away the plant.

Back