What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have a carnivorous bromide?

Chomp

Oops
I have read a little about carnivorous bromides, but I cant find much on their care. If any of you have one, I'd deeply appreciate some tips.
Thanx!
Chomp

well i guess all bromide is carnivorous since itll just corrode your skin away.

the bromeliads really arent that hard to take care of. to my knowledge they can grow in the same as the bromeliads you find in stores, except with a little more humidity. 60-85*F seems to be a good temperature range with humidity from 50% on up. a very light open potting mix too. they are after all epiphytes.

Good luck!

Alex

I have myself a Brocchinia Reducta (carnivorous bromeliad). Here it is growing in my mini-greenhouse among Nepenthes and sundews. Fairly easy to grow, although I must confess I've killed them twice before. The first time was from over-watering, the other time was from fertilizing. I bought myself another and it's been growing well for me ever since. Just keep the soil damp, some water in it's "tank", and about every two weeks, I feed the plant an insect. In fact, I recently noticed over the past day or two that it's been catching ants by itself.

newplants1.jpg

Cool. I don't think that my terra will do, but I think that it is about time that I got another tank. I am assuming that there is no dormancy required, right?
Thanx!
chomp

Cool. I don't think that my terra will do, but I think that it is about time that I got another tank. I am assuming that there is no dormancy required, right?
Thanx!
chomp

No dormancy, but the plant grows extremely slow. It looks the same for months.

Well, then I'll try to get a full-grown. LOL

Well, then I'll try to get a full-grown. LOL

I know a site that sells full-grown (or at least large) ones for sale for about $20.

Where? I might be interested in getting one, too.

Yah, where? I didn't find a website for that cheap!

I have myself a Brocchinia Reducta (carnivorous bromeliad). Here it is growing in my mini-greenhouse among Nepenthes and sundews. Fairly easy to grow, although I must confess I've killed them twice before. The first time was from over-watering, the other time was from fertilizing. I bought myself another and it's been growing well for me ever since. Just keep the soil damp, some water in it's "tank", and about every two weeks, I feed the plant an insect. In fact, I recently noticed over the past day or two that it's been catching ants by itself.

newplants1.jpg

That's the weirdest looking B.reducta I've ever seen, looks more like some kind of Neoregalia. Where did you get it ?

That's the weirdest looking B.reducta I've ever seen, looks more like some kind of Neoregalia. Where did you get it ?

I'm not allowed to say nursery names on this site.

Back