What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blooming t.bulbosa from home depot

thez_yo

instigator
You guys know my tilly that I got at Home Depot that was that amazing red color? It's blooming and has purple flowers!!

P2030026.jpg

click for bigger pic of the whole plant:

Very nice.
How are these grown?

swords: thanks!
zero: there's all sorts of directions that you can find online like "spray them this often, or soak them overnight every X weeks", but I grow them like the following: I have a sunny window that I put all my neps in front of. The orchids get filtered light through the neps, and the tillys get light filtered by the orchids (and neps by extension). I usually give them a good soaking by spraying them down with water once a week and let them drip dry, or sometimes a little more or less often if they're looking full of water/empty of water (something like when cacti or succulents look plump when full of water and shriveled when you don't water for a while - if you don't know what that looks like I'll try to find some pics for you). My humidity fluctuates probably something between 40-85% on the edge of the grow rack where they hang out, so if it feels more or less humid I adjust my watering accordingly because while you don't want them to desiccate, you don't want them to turn to mush either. But they're pretty forgiving in my experience.

----edit: actually, if I try to self-pollinate this thing, will it be viable seed? And if so, how in the heck do you get something like this to germinate - lay down a bed of damp coconut husk and wait? It seems like a fun thing to try. I tried to look up some websites but I didn't find anything good and recent yet - anyone know of any?

Last edited:
Back