What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staghorn questions!

So about a year ago I bought three small staghorns to mount up and all seem to be doing quite well but I am confused as to weather two of them are a species or rather more of a named cultivar of something like a bifurcatum.

The two I am questioning where sold to me as spore grown platycerium Wilinckii and platycerium Mt Lewis Venosa.

Thanks!

Hello KNepenthe!

Staghorn ferns are really cool. I have a little one that I have mounted on a small chunk of cork bark. I hope that one day the fern "consumes" the mount completely, and it just a big ball of fern!! Anyway, your question. After some searching, I think the following clears up the confusion:

Platycerium wilinckii is a species of staghorn fern from Java. Closely related to P. bifurcatum, but a whole separate species in itself.
P. wilinckii 'Venosa' was thought to be a whole separate species, but was later officially described as just a variety of the wilinckii species (hence writing it as I have, here).

Would you post some pictures of your mounts? I think that mounted epiphytes are just wicked cool!!

-CJ

Those look sweet! Do you have to water them much? There is one in the greenhouse I work at but I think it would look really neat along with my other plants inside

I take them down and soak them for about 30 minutes in a tub of water about once a week and much less in the winter (I live in Oregon so they can't go all year outside). They need a lot less water than you might think. They have just started to really take off in the past few months. When I first received them they were in a small pot and I mounted them on the boards. The mounting took some adjustment for them to get used to but well worth it.

Alright. Thanks!

If you wanted to post pictures to the forum, click on the little gear-symbol on the thumbnail on photobucket, and click "get links." Then copy and paste the last link to the forum, that should work!

The mounts look good! And they are way bigger than my little guy! I am fascinated by the way they switch between growing a few "shield" fronds then a few projecting fronds.

Back