What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the seeds of this tillie be sown, if so how

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hey all, this tillie came as am extra during a trade, I'm not sure of it's ID.
20141123_132114.jpg

It has/had a rather long stem.
20141123_132134.jpg

Which I let stay on the plant as it browned, more out of curiosity than anything else, to see what would occur.
Well I now have my answer.
20141123_132156.jpg

Most of the spread seed landed in a pot of ludesia.
There are more unopened pods on the same stem as well as a slightly different noid tillie following suit. Both came with their stemas already having formed pods on them.
So, any ideas out there? This is a first for me.
I will be trying one method I found which is to sow them on a block of treefern and keep the treefern in a container of water so that it always remains moist. I may also try some on a piece of bark and mist them.

Last edited:
If it's from Kevin, then probably Tillandsia setacea.

Sweet! I may have an ID! Thanks, Paul! We rarely get pollinators, so it's unlikely to be hybrid seed. Always a chance, though, since we have so many species. Probably self-pollinated.

Tilly seed is tough. It should germinate easily, but what you have to do is skirt between the tiny plantlets drying out completely versus being so moist that algae overtakes them. Same rule for fertilization: they don't like to starve, but overfeeding causes algae. Therefore, success should come with intermittent misting. Light but frequent fertilization is also a good thing, because from what I've read they aren't good at storing nutrients when they're young. Tree fern fiber is an excellent medium--anything they can catch onto, really. Even plastic mesh has worked (doesn't rot, either!).

Back