What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air plants during winter

Hi,
I have a bunch of different kinds of airplants in my bathroom in the south side window. They do not get direct light and have been growing for about 8 months now. None of them have flowered except one is coming out now extremely slow. I am worried because winter is here and they are getting less light. I think the color in some of my stringy net-like air plants is fading and getting dull almost like its losing its life. I try to water them 3 to 4 times a week with RODI water by spraying them thoroughly with a spray bottle.

Do my airplants need supplemental lighting? If so does the bathroom bulb about 4 feet away that is 57watts do anything? Also, what is the main cause for airplanes to flower? I am wondering if it is a combination of the right conditions and they haven't been met or am I missing light or heat? I know it may be hard to tell. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

They appreciate fertiliser,I use orchid fert and leave the plants submerged in a half strength mix for half an hour or more when I remember

Last edited:
So they will survive through the winter without very much light at all? Any idea what sets them off for flowering?

Sorry I can't really help you there as mine are growing under florescent lights. But cooler temperature doesn't seem to bother them .And I think I have read that fertiliser is pretty important

I think your light levels are fine, but you may want to consider soaking the plants in water for about an hour at a time, rather than spraying them.

Back