What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Tillandsia for desert climate?

Hello,

I am wondering if there are Tillandsia that do better in a desert climate than others.

I have 15-30% humidity year round.
These would be indoors near a window that unfortunately faces north. (None facing south)

I have an interesting hanging potter that isn't suitable for rooted plants due to lack of drainage. It has a large circular opening through the middle of it that I would like to hang Tillandsia in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

T.Bergeri might be worth looking at

While not Tillandsias, you might want to look into the terrestrial bromeliads in the Puya genus. These are high desert plants from the Andes and should do well where you are. Many species resemble giant terrestrial Tillandsia and have beautiful inflorescences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puya_(genus)

https://www.google.com/search?q=puy...#tbm=isch&q=puya+bromeliaceae&revid=666146932

And since this is a carnivorous plant forum it should be mentioned that one Puya species allegedly eats sheep! Puya chilensis, The Sheep Eating Plant!

And since this is a carnivorous plant forum it should be mentioned that one Puya species allegedly eats sheep! Puya chilensis, The Sheep Eating Plant!

hahahaha I read an article on that a few years ago. Couldn't help but laugh.

Dyckia and Hechtia are also good genera to look into. T. xerographica and T. duratii will also handle a decent amount of drought. Xerographica is native to dry forests and gets pounded with heat/light.

Do you think only having a northerly window will be a bigger problem than the low humidity.

For plants that live in exposed situations often at high altitude high light levels are essential.

Thank you for all the great feedback. I will look up all of the suggestions to read more.

Generally, seems like the Tillandsias that are ok with low humidity also prefer bright light or direct sunlight and have stiffer leaves that are more silver colored and scaly/fuzzy compared to other Tillandsias. I have a few like that but I still keep them in some kind of enclosure so the humidity stays up a bit longer after I spray them. T. tectorum is the fuzziest I've seen. There are large and small forms of this species. T. paleacea is another recommended to me.

Last edited:

My nephew has mentioned this plant to me a couple times. I might get one, or a clump of them, just for fun.

Found this photo of a Xerographica ... talk about a gorgeous plant!
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/6945274029_0d6c99277e.jpg

(You need to get some of these, Kevin, so I can mooch one off of you! :D )
I just finally caught this, Paul, but I agree! I've seen a friend's in bloom, and it's stunning.

My nephew has mentioned this plant to me a couple times. I might get one, or a clump of them, just for fun.

Puyas are definitely interesting, eyecatching, and extremely drought-tolerant. However, talk about a monstrous beast of a plant. Over time it could easily fill a living room, not to mention the brutal spines.

T.Bergeri might be worth looking at

Agree. I have a friend who grows T. bergeri outside all year in Palo Alto, with no supplemental moisture. This included a 12 month period with only about 3 inches of rain. It's much cooler than the low desert, but that says a lot.

I should get this plant and find a little critter skull to put in with it and then watch my nephews and nieces faces when they see it. :-))

I live in a desert as well. The sonoran desert gets pretty humid in the late summer and I grow them inside a swamp cooled house under skylights, so that's a boon, but its pretty dry the rest of the year. I've had a lot of good luck from Tillandisia capult medusae, and T. caliginosa. T. cacticola is difficult to find, but grows on cacti in the peruvian deserts and can take a lot of light and heat. Noted horticulturalists in Tucson are growing T. ehlersiana outside, but in pots.

In general I would pursue tillandsias that have very succulent leaves, like T. capult medusae. You probably want to hit them with a good spray of water in between waterings to keep them hydrated, or set up a humidity tray underneath them. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back