What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fernery

There was an area in the garden that was very shaded. Acers, Azalea (big) and bay surrounded it. I also have rain water storage there. Last year I introduced some large leaf Arisaema to some large tubs I removed the bases off and used as raised beds. By now I hope you have the picture of just how dark it gets under there. So, what to plant under all this canopy? Ferns of course. I've been adding hardy ferns all this year and now topped it all with gravel (10mm and 20mm), largish pebbles and river stone ( cat deterrent).

It's looking not bad. I have an extra paving slab just in front of my water barrels and it enables me to sit in the shade on a hot day. MrsG likes it because it gives me some seclusion and I'm totally out of her sight. :0o:

20836829132_22683ae7ed_b.jpg

20225408793_acd7bfcc2a_b.jpg

20658709660_6b863fbaa1_b.jpg

I have some liverworts and mosses already in there but hope to expand on those if they establish well.

Last edited:
Great set up i love this, this is so great!! I love the ferns and the stones really nice

One of my recent acquisitions was this very unusual Lady Fern type. . The pinnae alternate with being angled up and down on the rachis so giving a cross-cross cruciform appearance. Roll on next spring to get the new, hopefully bigger, more pristine fronds.

Athyrium filix-femina 'Victoriae'

21464566875_07640c64dd_o.jpg

She is of course of Scottish origin being discovered there, 1881 I believe.

A second just to let me practice this new terminology :-D

Athyrium nipponicum 'Pewter Lace'

21277679479_0f42b0e11f_o.jpg

The deep burgundy of the rachis and the costae are a good contrast to the green-greys of the pinnae.

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread. Very pretty! I also have a small, shady area filled with the same variety of ferns. They are going dormant now so I cannot ID them but now you've got me interested.

This is a Morrison's* (£2) special. I acquired it a couple of months ago and it's growing very well and looks remarkably healthy. The ID is an educated guess ( perhaps not too educated) so if you know better please say so.

Rumohra adiantiformis, Florist's Leather Fern?

21746500492_fa7efe9a89_o.jpg

* A UK Supermarket chain

I'm still trying to ID all the ferns. Here's a few more.

21599185939_524212c914_o.jpg

21775278932_2906aae1ee_o.jpg

There's more to come :-O

Beautiful plants, Fred. Apparently I have a plant of the Japanese Holly Fern in one of my Nepenthes pots that I have been suppressing for two years now. Its pretty, but you know what they call any plant that grows where its not wanted ;-)

Precisely why I have to remove cps from my liverworts Paul :p

The stocking of the Fernery (and immediate surrounding area - shhh don't tell MrsG) continues. This is the latest to be planted, I think it's a little cracker.

Arachnoides simplicior 'Variegata', also know a the Japanese Variegated Holly Fern and the East Indian Variegated Shield Fern, I suppose any combination thereof will do too. It seems this one will be happy on the drier side.

21844269981_8357ba089c_o.jpg

Now to find a bamboo fern :bigthumpup:

Last edited:
Well, MrsG let me go out alone to a Plant Fair. Considering the temptation I didn't do so bad, just five new ferns.
The first three I have potted up in square and round long toms to see how things go. The Dryopteris sieboldii was a distinctive three crowns so there's now a couple of square pots of that. The large Bamboo Fern I was hoping to split but on knocking out it's not at that stage yet Two of the fronds were damaged in transit so they've been "assisted" with a couple of wooden BBQ skewers

1 & 2. Dryopteris sieboldii, Japanese Wood Fern

3. Coniogramme japonica flavo-maculata, Bamboo Fern

4. Blechnum spicant, Deer Fern

21319275094_c4b95a132e_o.jpg

With these two the scale is just wrong. The Asplenium is far larger than the Polystichum, the latter of which I hope will split when I knock it out tomorrow

Top, Asplenium scolopendrium 'Kayes Lacerated', Crispy Hart's Tongue Fern

Bottom. Polystichum setiferum congestum, Soft Shield fern

21942000615_2b49b071e8_o.jpg

Last edited:
Everything looks so nice i love ferns i enjoy seeing how many types you have and grow :)

A few more additions. Some Dryopteris that were begging me to buy them.

1. Dryopteris affinis cristata 'The King'

2. Dryopteris affinis 'Crispa'

3. Dryopteris erythrosora

4. Dryopteris erythrosora, new frond

21596697433_c70410b37b_o.jpg

It's unfair when they have a very low price on them, what chance do I have to resist?

The Fernery doesn't quite look the same anymore. the ferns are really taking off and trying to fill every bit of air space. I'll need to try to get in there and trim off some of the old fronds.

Here's a sample of some of the new growth.

27287692945_d512af8b94_o.jpg

Ferns can be veritable weeds in their own right. :) Quite the lush growth you have there.

I didn't update last year so here's the main part of the Fernery in July 2017

Fernery 17-7-12.jpg

I'm using google photos and this site doesn't like it so I'll have to upload direct which gives a smaller image.

A few photos of the early growth 2018.

Brute.jpg

Cyrtomium.jpg

D erythrosora.jpg

Fern .jpg

Fern 1.jpg

Last edited:
And a little reminder that not all ferns look like ferns.

Fernery 2-5-18 1.jpg

This is a wild one. The plant and sun were just in the right position so - have camera will snap

Shuttlecock fren.jpg

Back