What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do Tillandsia come from?

I often see bunches of Tillandsia for sale in stores and online. They are often mixed varieties and it got me thinking . . . where do all these tillandsia plants come from? Are these plants plucked from the wild, or there "air plant" farms that grow a variety of species?

I have no idea if they farm them, but my mom saw tons of tillandsia growing up in Florida. She even rescued one that fell out of its tree in a storm and had it until she moved up here to Ohio. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Air plants divide readily (they are part of the bromeliad family and produce pups in the same way) so they should be easily propagated in nurseries. I don't think wild collection would be feasible anyway - they tend to grow high off the ground, attached to trees and other objects like power lines.

Considering how readily many types of tillies pup, many could very well simply be divisions. Tillies also can produce copious amounts of seed which are dispersed via wind (not unlike the seeds of thistles).

I believe Tropiflora produces the vast majority of the commercially available Tillandsias, at least in the US. They have multiple greenhouses dedicated to growing Tillandsias.

That they do, they're five minutes away from my school and have quite the collection

Last edited:
There is a florist's shop up the street, they have them from time to time, and dirt cheap.

Back