What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tillandsia seed germination.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I took a trip to a nearby nursery today and found several tillandsia forming flower stalks :-O I took one home of course. Hopefully the flower will produce seed. What is the best way to pollinate tillandsia flowers and germinate their seeds?

I believe a general method for germinating Tillandsia seeds is to spread them out on something like a window screen and keep them moist with a spray bottle. Other people may recommend various epiphyte mounts like cork, cholla, etc. If you can get germination, they will grow EXTREMELY slow for a couple years.

Edit: Just to give you an idea of growth rate, I had a seed hitchhike on an air plant I bought last year. I didn't notice it until recently so I don't know exactly how old it is, but it should be somewhere in the range of 9-12 months. The plant is approximately 3mm long.

z24jium.jpg

Last edited:
growth will increase greatly if you give them an orchid fertilizer instead of an epiphyte fertilizer. This may be helpful in getting them to a size at which they are easier to work with.

Also Brads Greenhouse, a YouTube channel, has a few good videos on Tillandsia. He says the fruit takes about a year to ripen.

Back