What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tillandsia Aeranthos help...

Hello all. I'm new here. About 10 months ago I received as a gift a tillandsia aeranthos attached to a ceramic skull.
open

I watered it every week or so, with hard water, overnight anywhere from 1-3 days depending on if I would remember to pull it out. It has also been in my kitchen the entire time sitting under 2 large florecent bulbs. Everything grows great in my kitchen due to these bulbs. I didn't know how to care for it.
I've been researching how to care for it and began looking closer to the roots. Of course I found rot.
open

Someone on Facebook mentioned that I could take off the lower leaves to see if I can save it from the rot. So I did.
open

My question now is if anyone can tell me if I've killed it or if I've taken off enough of the rot.
open

open

It now looks like this:
open

Thank you for any info and insight you all might have.

Last edited:
Your pictures aren't showing up in the post, but I was able to use the URL to view them. I'm not sure how to do it properly in Google Drive.

In any case, you've been submerging the plant to water it? Generally, submerging should only be necessary to perk up a dehydrated plant. When you do this, you should avoid submerging the base of the plant to avoid rot and leave it submerged no more than overnight and shake off excess water when you remove it. Most of the time you can just use a spray bottle to wet the plant every so often. I spray my air plants once every morning, but your schedule will depend on your household conditions, especially humidity.

As for your current problem, it looks like you've removed the rot but I'd be worried that the newly exposed inner layers of the plant will be prone to dehydration. Keep a close eye on it.

Nimbulan, thank you so much for taking the time to view the pics alternately. Now you said dehydration due to newly exposed flesh. Any ideas on how to deal with that?

I'm afraid I don't. Like I said I don't really have any experience dealing with rot or rot treatments for Tillandsia.

Back