What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID Help Needed! Have I already killed these poor things?

• Thread starter ertnirp
  • Start date
Hi all,

I have literally no idea what these are. Received them with a large group of plants from a greenhouse manager I'm friends with.

Two questions:
  1. What are they?
  2. Have I killed them already? They've been without soil for 1+ week.

31751027976_1e9dd3e121_z.jpg

Both are Bromeliads. Can't comment on a more specifc ID, sorry. First one seems to have a waxy coating which reminds me of Brocchinia, but I don't think the urn would be so tight with leaves that dark of a color. Anyways, they are both alive. I don't really know much anout general Bromeliad care, I only grow B. reducta, which is in my terrarium and survives practically on ambient humidity alone.

yes there are bromeliads , but may be aechmea and nidularium

Brocchinia does not seem to me to have the edge of the leaves in saw tooth

jeff

Last edited:
The one on the left definitely looks like aechmea, most likely the variety with pink bracts that is commonly found at home improvement stores.

Thank you all very much for the responses!

A follow-up question on the media: I have Miracle-gro orchid mix (I know it sucks), sphagnum peat, and sand on hand. Is there any good mixture of these to use, or will I need to buy something else? Options around here are limited.

for me it is a good media .

jeff

Many Broms do not require any media at all. Those that don't, a great candidates for mounting on wood. The few Broms I do have, simply get watered by my spraying water into the main cup and/or the leaf axils.

Back