What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bromeliad ID

• Thread starter Purpoh
  • Start date
Hi,
Does anyone know what type of bromeliad this is? I was thinking a billbergia but I can't find any species or hybrid like it. Also, would this be a good plant to try and grow Utricularia humboldtii in?
br.jpg

That definitely looks more like an aloe to me. I'm pretty sure it's not a bromeliad, and I would guess it's in the genus Aloe.

That definitely looks more like an aloe to me. I'm pretty sure it's not a bromeliad, and I would guess it's in the genus Aloe.

It was labeled as a bromeliad and has a distinct cup filled with water in the center. I'm sure it is in the family.

Purp, checked on another forum I frequent occasionally. Message to pass on is that it appears to be a Billbergias. However, they tend to be very difficult to tell apart as growth and even flowers tend to look a lot alike. Your best bet, I was told was to check out the species as there are fewer of those. The spines on your plant are longer than on most so that may at least lead you to who a possible parent might be. A link for ya: http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm

The growth form looks a lot like Billbergia robert-readii, and that species has got short spines:
0177_bill_robert-readii_DB94.jpg
The spines look like those on Bilbergia sandersii:
bill_sanderiana.jpg
However, the plant as a whole shares a strong resemblance with certain images of Aechmea triangularis, I assume of small specimens:
AechmeaTriangularis08.jpg

The spines look as much like those on B. horrida as they do like those on B. sandersii.

After a bit more research, I found a plant that looks very similar, Aechmea purpureo-rosea. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a good match to me, you should wait until it flowers, though, probably.
I've learned much more about bromeliads from this search process than I ever expected to :p

Back