What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of Tillandsia do I have

• Thread starter Len
  • Start date
Can somebody help me figure out the names of my Tillandsias? Sorry, I can't figure how to attach a pic. There was no attachment button when I wrote this post

Last edited:
You can always upload a picture to a hosting site like imgur and link it here.

I'm afraid I'm not sure about that one. It doesn't seem to quite match the bulbous species I'm familiar with.

Maybe t.butzii ,

I actually have a T. butzii. The leaves are much more thread-like and the whole plant has a speckled pattern. T. bulbosa has a much larger bulb, T. caput-medusae has shorter leaves, and both have a lighter color on the bulb portion. I'm sure there's other species out there I'm not familiar with, and it's possible it's a hybrid of some sort too.

I believe this is a hybrid of butzii. T. butzii has a very distinct zebra pattern that this plant is lacking. I'm not sure it looks like any other species i've seen either.

Maybe a butzii x bulbosa , certainly lacking the patterning, t.kacey is a hybrid of the two???

That looks like tillandsia medusae to me. I used to grow them about 20 years in South Africa, not tried growing them in the UK yet.

They look healthy to me, but they don’t have any roots. I used to mount mine on a slab a coconut husk (on the fibres side if the husk has the hard outer side) and the roots Grew over the top of that.I would mist them with a spray bottle when you remember, no more then once a day.
Mist with some orchid fertiliser once a month.

They look healthy to me, but they don’t have any roots. I used to mount mine on a slab a coconut husk (on the fibres side if the husk has the hard outer side) and the roots Grew over the top of that.I would mist them with a spray bottle when you remember, no more then once a day.
Mist with some orchid fertiliser once a month.

What makes them grow roots? Also, can you look at my pics on the first page and see if you know what they are? Thanks.

The plants just grow roots on their own. It's not uncommon for nurseries to cut all the roots off, but a lot of mine go crazy with roots for some reason, even though I don't have them growing on anything the roots could attach to.

Hi Len, sorry I can’t ID your first pic. Nice looking plants though. I suspect it’s a hybrid, possibly with t. Budtzii, t. Bulbosa or t. Pseudobaileyi parents. Maybe if you can keep the flowers going it may help with the ID.

You don’t have to do much to get it to grow roots, just have patients. The roots are mainly to anchor it to a support, the plant should get all the water and nutrients it needs from the leaves so don’t worry about it. I liked my plants to grow roots and fix itself to the mounts so I could remove the insightly ties, it’s a long wait to reach that stage though.

Back