What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ionantha (?) not fairing well

• Thread starter Maurillo
  • Start date
Hello all,
I have two specimens of (probably) Tillandsia Ionantha, nice red colour when I bought them (december 2018), pups growing well, but the red colour is slowly fading into nothing. Can I trust it's just the pups taking the whole energy out? Will the mother eventually die? All my other Tillandsiae keep reproducing without the mother plant dying...

Thanks!

The red coloration was most likely because of the plant flowering. They will turn red before the flowers. After the plant flowers the red coloration will slowly dissipate back to green.
This usually when the mother plant will pup.
Some species the mother will continue to grow after flowering. Others the mother will slowly fade away.

Thanks a lot Elgecko, exactly what I'm experiencing. I've plenty of other Tillandsiae which keep reproducing, and staying healthy, but these ones are just fading away. Must be species-characteristic. Good to know

Cheers

Back