What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tillandsia care

Tillandsia, or as some people call them, bromeliads, air plants, are pretty easy to care for as long as they stay in more than 35-40% humidity. They like a nice misting every few days, and for the most part grow the best in my lowland nep tank. (70*-90*F) I foliar feed them once or twice a month, with Epiphyte's Delight. They pretty much like lowland nep conditions as far as climate, although many succeed on windowsills. I told ya this was just general, very brief... If I think od anything else, I'll add it... Enjoy, and go get some tillandsias!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

what about light and flowering , i also want to mount them and i have an old tillandsia centerpiece thingy with a clam on a piece of grapewood on it , it used to have a tillandisia on it but i think she killed it , i used that and took a glue gun and glued a tillandsia ionantha on it and wrapped some chilean sphagnum moss on the base of the plant to hide the glue , my main concern is will the spahgnum moss effect the plant in anyway ?

I have some of these too, and I soak them in my sink once a week for a couple of hours in plain water. Once a month I soak them in water with a capfull of Alaska Fish Fertilizer. I am getting lots and lots of blooms and babies. I was thinking of maybe trying to trade some of the pups on the trading forum.

Anyone else have any pointers? I always seem to kill these guys
sad.gif
They turn black and die...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (purplesundew @ Sep. 29 2003,8:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...I always seem to kill these guys
sad.gif
They turn black and die...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sounds like my daughter.  She either drowns them (left one sitting in water all day, or sets them outside in direct sun to get dried and fried.  I rescued her last one when I noticed she'd managed to kill the center of the plant.  I still don't know how she did that.  It has sent out a small plant from its side.  It's so tiny and cute!

I have it and mine sitting in the middle of one of my other house plants.  I water them when I water the house plant.  I just slop some water (tap) on them and occasionally I mist them with my RO water.

alien.gif

Back