What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staghorn Ferns

I have a staghorn fern and I would like to mount it. I have heard that they can be hung on bark or some type of wood. So I am wondering how to do this and how to care for it after it is mounted. So any tips would be great.

try here:-  http://www.fernfactory.com/shop/staghorns.asp
It tells you how to mount staghorn fern with both chicken wire, fishing lines and moss boards etc etc.
Happy growing, Neil.
Currently my staghorn fern is in a pot and I also intend to mount it when it gets bigger so let me know how you get on.

I hear you take the plant and pput a wad of lfs around its base then mount it on the bark. Is this info correct?
rock.gif

I have used fishing line in the past. I got an osmunda block with a hole carved out in the middle. I packed a little sphagnum moss around the base and in the hole, then twined the fishing line around the "foot" of the fern on a. As the fern puts out new "feet", it will overgrow the fishing line. It was quite secure.

Those are very nice ferns. I love them.
smile.gif

Suzanne

I found the bark thing to be a pain. In my conditions the plant dried out too readily, and I always had to keep an eye on it. Now I have it in an old wicker basket which I hang on its side. It gives the same effect pretty much, and the mix stays moist much longer, while the wicker keeps the roots well aired.

I have two stag mounted, one on a wooden board wrap up in a jute net filled up with LFS and fir bark, like William said, it dried out too fast.
The other is mounted in the hollow of a coconut shell filled with peat moss, hang tilted. The upper leaves wrap around the coconut shell therefor the funnel is installed for watering. See pic

DSCF1196.JPG

Lots of good ideas. Keep them coming. As of now I am way to busy to do anything to my staghorn fern, but when I have time I will.

I found two growing on a tree in front of my house and transplanted them to my back yard. I just stapled them to a block of wood and they're doing fine. There's a really big one on another tree, but I don't think i could take it out without a lot of trouble, not to mention that it's pretty where it is.
cool.gif

Joe\_

Mindmaze,
You Found them growing in the wild in San Juan, PR? That's amazing! As far as I knew Platycerium andinum only grows in Peru. Perhaps P. andinum is not the only staghorn fern in the new world after all!  Can you please post some pix for us? Especially the big one that you didn't cut down, could you note what species of tree, how high up is it, what kinda light does the fern get during the day. All the info!

Also, do not try to pry that big one off (not only for conservation reasons-it has likely lived there for many years if it is very large) but botanists and their porters have been killed trying to prize a huge Platycerium off a tree and had it land on them!  You don't want your hometown newspaper to read : Carnivorous Plant Hobbiest Killed by Fern!  
tounge.gif

They had a big one at the local orchid shop which was about 2 meters in diameter before they divided it up just recently. It was originally mounted on wood and suspended in the air, after so much time it became an enormous clump and a very impressive sight!

i grow mines on my palm tree , my palm tree clumps alot so i put some lfs beetween a clump and planted my staghorn upright and its very happy , it does dry out quickly but i'm always there if it needs watering . now i'm going to try to find some more staghorn to hang on the palm tree trunks to make things look more natural .

Swords, Staghorn ferns grow wild and plentiful here in Singapore also. You can see them on almost all the older trees. Some of the real old trees have numerous staghorn ferns and birds nest ferns growing in the branches.

<""Staghorns are native to jungles in Africa, Madagascar, Australia, Tropical Asia and one species is from South America. ">> quote from internet.
Happy growing, Neil

smile.gif

Back