What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love ferns but when they takeover,.....

I used to have a nice little bromeliad crypthanthus earthstar bed on my balcony. I covered the pots and surrounding areas with larva stones and it looked quite nice,..for a few months before ferns appeared not only in the pots but also growing amongst the stones. I had to take out all the earthstars and pull up all the ferns.
earthstar%20bed.jpg

The ferns I pulled up then were put into a container.
ferns.jpg

The remaining ferns had to be thrown although it broke my heart to do so. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind (to my other plants). Now I need to find my cacti amongst all the ferns in my cacti bed!!!!

Same problem here in Florida.  I brought home a couple of ferns from the Everglades a couple of years ago...my lawn man has been cursing me ever since.
laugh.gif

That is a Nephrolepis (Boston Fern). Tough plant and difficult to get rid of.

That looks like a huge weed! I have a baby one growing in my VFT pot and I made the conditions for that fern so dry however the fern/weed never withered. How does the fern grow like that? That trait would definetly be excellent for carnivorous plants so we don't need to water them too often!
Jason

They are common in our green areas. I think they are native to these parts (although plants from the genus are referred to as Boston ferns). Their spores are all around us floating in the air!

Back