What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOw big can tillandsias get?

I have a little air plant, which i got for $1.50 at a green house. It's only like 1.5 inches. :) I think it's kinda cute. How big can they get?
-Captain Drosera

If you are a mod and you delete this: :) :) :) :) :) :)
:) :) then you are not a happy person. (just a little test)

I don't think it will grow so big or so fast. I have seen air[plants that are quite large but I think they must have been quite old.
Just curious: - - were you/ are you electric carnivore? I saw the photo and thought
rock.gif

happy growing, Neil  
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

That's kind of a vague question Capt'n D.
There are over 500 types of Tillandsia, funkiana is less than an inch long whereas xerographica can be a couple of feet tall.
Have a look at this site:

Airplant.com

They have a great gallery though I recommend you stay away from the guy that runs it, he's a very nasty peice of work.

Cheers, Troy.

You most likely have ionatha(sp?) Wich normaly only grows 2 1\2 inches tall,although with time they can get quite big around,by forming "pups".

Ive been to a couple of forest reserves near me and I've seen absolutely gigantic tillandisa plants that are easily as tall as i am (when flowering) and a few feet in diameter.

:-( I bought my tilandsia, it was in a little basket, and it just said tilandsias. So i don't know what it is. Do you have a good pic link of tillys?

Does it look like a pineapple top? If so it`s most likely a T.ionantha.

if it looks like a pineapple top then it is not a tillandsia but a bromeliad called ananas , tilladnsia ionanatha is not as common as it used to be no more so iw ould'nt be sure what you got but whatever you got i'm sure its easy to grow .

Got a little tilandsia bulbosa.. just bloomed , but it did not last 2 days... does anyone know how to  make the blooms last longer?

Back