What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water logged

My bromeliad got water logged and its starting to show signs of weakness from to much water in the soil. I have it in a terrarium and have fixed the issue that was causing so much soil moisture. Should I remove the plant redo the soil and replant. Or will that damage the plant??

also I want to eventually mount the little growths from the bromeliad onto a cork bark board. Do I just snap them off and then place the root on the bark.

Also one more question if i can. Are the blocks of terrarium soil you buy at pet stores okay for planting if you mix in some other soils and barks for better drainage. Thanks for the help.

Heres a picture
terarrium.jpg

http://www.craigstewartstudio.com/tim/terarrium.jpg

Bromeliads mostly use roots as something to sit on, but they seem to better with dry roots than with soggy roots.  So I would redo the soil to give the pups better conditions. Almost all of my potted bromeliads are in bark, so drainage isn't an issue.

People generally wait until pups are 1/4 to 1/2 as big as the original before removing them.  Preferably after root growth has started. I confess I often snap them off, but only if I have a good view and can make sure I'm getting some roots.  Cutting is probably better.

I don't what that Bromeliad is, but it looks like one better suited to a pot (or terrarium) than to a mount.  Thicker leaved plants are the best candidates for a mount, especially those that don't grow a tall inflorescence.  That one would be quite an off-balance mount

Back