What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spanish moss tips

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So I just got some Spanish moss (Tillandsia usenoids) by mail-order. It looks... kinda dead. It's vaugely green, but not nearly as green as the pictures I've seen. The foliage is still crisp, and cool/humid to the touch. It doesn't smell funky or anything, but it also doesn't look like it would do a very good job at photosynthesis with this pale color. The color reminds me of a nauseas person's skin tone. I've seen it in the wild a couple of times, and some of it was this color, but I don't know if the stuff I saw outdoors was dead or sick or what. Anyways, if you've grown Spanish moss before, could you tell me what it's supposed to look like? And what level of indoor light do they like?
Thanks
~Joe

Its supposed to be that color. When you get it wet, it turns green!
smile.gif

It'll probably want as much light as it can get indoors.

Good stuff... I soaked it overnight and it looks markedly more alive. I've got it with my succulents under two 40W two-foot bulbs right now and once I've got a brighter setup for the CPs it'll go in there.
Thanks guys!
~Joe

I was suprised, I threw some away in a sealed bag outside in full sun, and about a month later the bag was full of the spanish moss in temps near probably 100+ in the bag!

I go to florida every year, the spanish moss is always a greyish color.

Back