What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Croc fern

I picked up a Crocodile Fern at WalMart the other day. It's a 6" pot for $3!!

Anyone else have one? Tips? Care information?

Hey Tink,
They are related to the Java Fern, like damp-wet feet. Not soggy, no standing water without current. Avoid bright light, prefers indirect medium light for a nice green color. Don't be surprised if it dies, they are difficult to care for for some people, kinda like a Nep.

Platycerium0001.jpg

Thats a pic of mine, it sits on the East side and under shade at that. Pretty low light.

Good Luck,
Joe

Thanks for the info. But don't tell me it's going to die! *lol* I really like this plant. I repotted it in a slightly bigger pot in some nice potting soil. Just reg potting soil do? And do I keep moist? Oh and should this be indoors or outside? Right now it's inside, nothing bad so far.

Tinkerbelle,
If your weather is stayin above 50 at nigh then I'd keep it outside on a North side or East. Potting soil is fine, it likes it acidic. Keep moist. Sorry, I don't mean to discourage, it's been a problem for me and a few other people I know. It just seems to be a finicky plant. I think browning of the edges is normal so long as it doesn't go farther than the edges (probably humidity
issue)

Well, its' hitting late summer. Last nights temps were 59* so it will get colder in the coming fall. My room stays in the 80* and 70* at night, so could I keep it there? When I bought the plant, the fern leaves were straight up. But now they are more downward laying like yours above. Thats normal right? I'm guessing they were up from being bunched on the store self. By the way, yours looks great in the pic. =)

Yes, they only stay erect as smallish fronds, once a little size is put on they become pendant. Thanks, I like mine - I had a chance to pick up a "Mother" that was used as a tissue culture sample for next to nothing. 59F is still good, where do you live? I'd keep it outside until it's too cold. Outside is always better for plants if possible.

Joe

I live in Ohio. Growing zone 5. Yours has tons of leaves! Do they grow fast? I surely hope I do good with this plant. For some reason I am not a fern person at all - but this really caught my eye.

So you're on par with me for winters, Nebraska here (zone 5)

Yes and No, mine puts out new fronds fairly quickly but develops them at a much more limited rated. I'll have 5 new fronds but all 5 will be varying between 3-7" long, the 36"+ fronds are a year or so old.

Joe

The Croc fern you've mentioned is Microsorum musifolium. A native epiphytic fern to southeast Asia especially the Philippines and Indonesia. Here in Thailand, I treat it as same as I do with Nepenthes, give them bright light and high humidity. For medium I use coconut chip, but in your case I think orchid barks would be fine for it.
smile.gif

Back