What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold temps and mexi pings

Does anyone know what the tempature range is for mexican butterworts?I would like to try to grow them outside if I could.

Jerry

I have had most of my collection survive a snap down to 17F but I don't recommend it. Shoot to keep them above freezing and you should be fine. I will note that I never have water standing in the trays during winter though and that the media is only ever very slightly moist.

I have 5 P. 'Tina' outside, its been getting cooler here, then I moved one of them in and it is now growing a lot faster and its now ahead of the others in terms of growth.......so based on that experience Id reccomend that you keep them warm during winter

Thank for the info Travis.I might try a spare plant outside this winter.

Jerry

Mine are still all outside. I'm not going to pull them in until at such time as the day time temps begin dipping into the 60's and the night time temps begin to dip to around 40F.  They seem to be fine. I suspect I will be pulling them all inside perhaps as soon as next week but they might make it outside as long as three weeks. October is always an iffie month as pertains to temps. You never quite know what the temps will be. I did begin reducing their water a month ago.

Back