What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it the same plant?

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here are two photographs of the same clone of Pinguicula esseriana grown under different light levels. Yep, the low light plants are huge compared to those grown in higher light levels, but I'd rather have a high light grown plant any day.

P_esseriana_cloneA_med_lgt.jpg

P_esseriana_cloneA_low_lgt.jpg

I totally agree.  
cool.gif

rose.jpg

VERSUS

rose2.jpg

Ah, there are are those familiar bloodworm hearts! Now, can you make a male Betta?
smile_m_32.gif

they all look good, however.

Wow there is a diffrence, the ones grown in lower light seem to be much more bigger while the ones with higher light seem to be smaller but with very dramatic in color. Beautiful plants Cindy & PinguiculaMan..
smile_m_32.gif

Wow, such variety. Another reason why CPs are so great
smile.gif

Great plants everyone.

Wow, just goes to show the possible variations just due to small changes. I wouldn't have recognized the first two photos as being of the same plant species! Good growing!

But can't you have the best of both worlds? Start them out under lower light to get the size and then move them to higher light to color them up?

For me the plants actually get larger--faster (mature) when I keep their lights on 24 hours per day, as long as I remember to dust their leaves with ground insect powder and keep them almost floating in water. Now that they have many fat leaves (stored energy), if I want them to "stretch-out" I can subject them to low-light for a bit. This is kind of risky, they are quite vulnerable to damp-off (rot) through these leaves produced in low-light conditions, these leaves are also sensitive to "solarization" damage from higher light levels. But it can be done -- though from my perspective, not worth the risk of losing the plant.

Back