What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two p.moranensis varieties

Cindy

Staff member
I posted a while ago that my P.moranensis var 'fraser red' and P.moranensis var 'huahuapan' just came out of dormancy. I've got a problem now.

The P.moranensis var 'fraser red' went back to producing non-carnivorous leaves! What should I do?

The P.moranensis var 'huahuapan' is flowering. Should I cut the flower off? My husband is saying that it can die after flowering or it ends up splitting into two smaller and weaker plants. I know it is not true with P.x"Sethos" but wonder if it is true for P.moranensis.

It is unnerving to cultivate Pings here 'cos they don't do really well.  
confused.gif

I have only been cultivating these fascinating plants for just under a year and in conditions much different from yours, but in my experience Mexican Pinguicula will often shift in and out of winter foliage with seemingly no rhyme or reason.  Reduced photoperiods, accidental dry spells, sudden temperature changes and any combination thereof may play a part in the production of winter foliage.

It is also my experience that any reasonably healthy plant can be allowed to flower without detrimental effects.  If the apical meristem does split into two growing points (it does not always happen and is not always easy to predict), then yes, each rosette will be temporarily smaller than the original, but they are quick to gain in size.

My P. moranensis put out 3 flowers for me in the fall. None of them caused a split that I can see yet. And my P. 'Mola' did split into 4, it took about 4~5 months, but now all 4 plants are the size of the original plant before the split.

Cindy,
Purplexing that I see nothing in your posts to indicate your location, though you say that your location affects your cultivation of Mexican Pinguicula and other CP. Maybe you could add your location to your signature line?

As Ispahan has mentioned, Mexican Pinguicula, at least outside their native environment grow as they please, not usually as we would like. Despite this, they can do just fine.

Isn't that the Cindy from Singapore?

biggrin.gif
Sorry, Pingman. I assume my name is synonymous with Singapore. Hehe. Singapore is warm and humid, all year round. Even during 'cool' (77degF) months now, it only gets more humid. Pinguicula rots easily here.

I remember Singapore, on my visits to the South Pacific and elsewhere, back in the mid-70's, it was one of the cleanest and most beautiful cities I'd seen anywhere.

I'm not sure I understand why Pinguicula are so troublesome for you. I'm in a desert where it is often warm, even indoors where I keep most of my CP and the air conditioning tries to keep it cool, but often loses. The ambient humidity can get very low there, but I find my Pinguicula grow best when I seal them in plastic bags where they experience warm temperatures and high humidity all year long, it is rare to lose one to the Pinguicula rots that are said predominantly to be transmitted by nematodes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Nov. 27 2005,9:35)]Cindy,
Maybe you could add your location to your signature line?
Shouldn't be necessary. Her profile clearly states her location.

I may be mistaken but I believe that "Fraser Red Leaf" is a form of moranensis x gypsicola... I'll check my growlist.

Yeah, according to my growlist it is that hybrid

Pyro, the plant came labelled as P.moranensis var "fraser f. red". If it happens to be P.moranensis x gypsicola, does it have winter leaves? And how do you "winter" them?

I am freaking out now 'cos I can't decide whether to leave the rootless (I peeped) plant alone and not water it. But the lowest temperature here is at most 77degF and that's nowhere near winter's cool.

Or should I go the Pingman's way of high light, high humidity and high water level...
confused.gif

I'm thinking that the plant would have come from Triffid Park and the plants they sell as P. moranensis var. "Fraser red" are just a P. moranensis form and not a hybrid with P. gypsicola.

Hmmm...This is interesting.  I did notice this past summer, before I started to cultivate my plants under flourescents, that many species stopped growing and seemed to languish and even die off during the terrible heat wave we had.  Once the temperatures moderated, they bounced back nicely with renewed vigor, and those that did not I was able to replace by taking leaf pullings.  

Because I do not air condition, I left my windows wide open all summer long, implying that humidity levels were inconsistent.  And because they were in windowsills, perhaps the amount of light reaching them had decreased due to the shifting angles of the sun.  It will interesting to see how they grow for me next summer now that my groing conditions have changed  (i.e., shift from natural to artificial light).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmmm...This is interesting. I did notice this past summer, before I started to cultivate my plants under flourescents,

I'm curious, what are your lighting conditions (bulb type, wattage, photoperiod, plant distance from lights, temperature around plants, etc.)? Thanks.

Back