What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any mexican ping that would do good w/o terrarium?

I was wondering if there was any good mexican ping (you'll prolly all say Pinguicula moranensis) that I could grow on a book shelf in my room with a compact growlight a few inches above it? In winter it is very dry here (my hands sometimes get so dry they hurt), though I know that a mexican ping prolly won't mind, especially in winter. Would say a 15 watt compact be okay 3 inches above the plant? Or should I use a higher wattage compact?

-Ben

I grow the following as windowsill plants:

Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'
Pinguicula esseriana
Pinguicula moranensis

i grow all my pings without a terrarium. all see humidity as low as 10% doesnt bug them as near as i can figure. ive got all hybrids and have had most of them for 2 years. all do fine. the more light the better though.

Ok I think I have a place for one plant. It's on a shelf, and a 13 watt compact light would be about 2-3 inches above the plant. Is this ok? And, does anyone know where I can get a cheap ($4 or so) P. moranensis? Here's a photo of the setup:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/bamaud/light.jpg

(By the way, the pot in the pic is about 3 inches tall.)

-Ben

im tellin yah Ben, 4 foot T8 fixtures are the way to go, bout $8 for the fixture and bulk bulbs are between $1 and $1.50 a piece. energy efficient. im running a dozen of them for 14 hours a day and not seeing hardly any increase in my electric bill

I grow these pings on growracks under fluorescent light--they're doing better than when they were in terraria:

agnata
debbertiana
ehlersiae
esseriana 'large form'
gina
jamauvensis
moranensis
primuliflora
rectifolia
reticulata
sethos

rattler_mt, the only thing is that my shelf is only 'bout 2 feet long.

well than i would try and get as many of the higher watt CF's above your palnts as yah can. good light is key for most species

Ya, I think any mex would do good as long as you get the light right. Mine all started tilting towards the window, just bought lights, hopefully they stop leaning. I picked up acouple 2' lights from walmart in spring those worked good until I had more plants then they could take care of.

I'd still get a better light. Just get a standard shoplight fixture that holds a normal lightbulb. The ones that are just a silver dish and a cord. Then buy the highest wattage compact fluorescent bulb that you can, at least a 23watt one (replaces 100watt incandescent). This will do a lot better than the 13watt bulb. I can't tell from the picture, but you might just be able to put a better bulb in that fixture. Oh, and try to get "cool white" or "daylight" if there's a choice.

Capslock

Back