What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaves won't unfold

I recently was given a mexican butterwort hybrid about a month ago.  It has been growing very well in my terrarium.  The temperatures are a little on the cool side average about 77F during the day and about 68F at night.  The humidity is about 85% on average with very good airflow.  A few weeks after I received it all it nice flat leaves slowly began dying only to be replaced by new leaves that won't unfold.  It has tons of new growth but I've noticed that none of the leave will unfold.  Each leaf remains tightly folded.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a mexican ping. or if I'm doing something wrong?  Are these it's succulent winter leaves?  I've added a picture to help with the diagnosis.  Any information will be helpful.  Thanks!

Chris

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a mexican ping.
It's not normal from my experience.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]or if I'm doing something wrong?
Possibly. It looks alittle on the wet side to me, but I know that sometimes pictures can be deceiving.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are these it's succulent winter leaves?
No. Winter leaves would be much smaller, and tighter.

Here is my P. potosiensis with both summer and winter leaves.
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214....MG][/url]

Do you know what the parentage is of the hybrid?

Also peanuts1gang posted a similar sounding problem, and said that it was fixed with more light.

I have no idea what percentage hybrid it is. It was given to me for free from Sarracenia Northwest with an order. You are right about it being wet. Up until two days ago it was sitting in an inch of water. Now it's in about a quarter inch of water. It also has a lot of slime mold growing around the base.

Chris

It could be from the humidity of the terrarium too. And could be perfectly fine. I don't have any experience growing them in those conditions. Mine grow just under lights, humidity is 25%. 40% after a misting, which I do 2-4 times a day. And temp seems to hold 73F day and night.

If they where my plants:
I'd try keeping the tray dry but the soil moist.

I keep all my Mexican Pinguicula in drained pots, with no tray, but they are deep pots so they hold a good amount of moister. I am only watering once a week right now, or once the surface is dry. If I poke down about 1/4" the soil is still moist.

I made two changes to the way I was growing this unknown Mexican hybrid. The first was to reduce the amount of water in the tray. The second were the bulbs in my terrarium. I just recently added another terrarium so I figured one big lighting unit for both of them would be fine. This time, however, I used 2 cool whites and 2 daylight instead of all cool whites. Since I made these changes my little ping has been unfolding new leaves and each one now has a touch of pink in them.

Chris

Back