What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf rooting

glider14

Always a newbie
About how fast will pings root from cuttings?

Extremly fast, I had P. wesser <span style='color:red'>[Edit: spelling -- P. 'Weser']</span> rooting and growing new leaves from a leaf cutting in less than a month.
Just place them on Sphagnum or wet soil.

I would say that it is more accurately described as leaf budding. A leaf with roots would never become a plant unless it also forms a bud or buds which become new apical meristem(s) (new plant(s)).

Most usually, if the conditions are right, not too wet, nor too dry, and moderately lit, the severed leaves (preferrably with some part of the base of the petiole included) will bud, then grow leaves and roots within a few days to 2 weeks.

Hey Pingman, how easy is it to propagate P. primuliflora via leaf cuttings?

Hey LLeapordGGecko,

In my experience P. primuliflora are fairly small and die off often. I've attempted to get leaf cuttings on a number of occasions. If you can pull out a bit of the risome you get success almost 100%. But pull out too much and the mother plant dies. I think I read somewhere that if you bury the tips of some of the leaves they produce plantlets that way.

Zac

Like zac said, it's much easier when you leave the leaves attached to the mother plant until the little plantlets have their own roots, then cut them free and pot them up in their own pots.

ok thanks for the tips. i have about 5 leaves in pure vermiculite(recomended in "the savage garden") and its not looking very good two of the leaves have turned brownish and considering they are the biggest ones i have lillte hope for rooting... or is there hope is this natural?

If they are too moist (wet) they can quickly become a lump of brown mush. If they are too dry, they can quickly wither into a dead brown Pinguicula cracker. Much better when they are left on the parent plant until they are well developed.

P.S. Rooting isn't usually the issue. Budding must happen first or their will be no plantlet formation or rooting. If you were to get a Pinguicula leaf to "root" and it did not form buds, then you would only have a short lived leaf with roots, never a plant(s).

glider14,

If you are asking about mexican Pinguicula. Your post never mentioned what type of Pinguicula. Don't give up hope if there is any living tissue left at the base of the leaf. I had P. 'Aphrodite' leaves that alteast 2/3-3/4 of the leaf turned brown and shriveled up, but some live tissue at the base still produced buds after that.

PinguiculaMan
smile_m_32.gif

How wet is to wet? My current propigation bowl is very wet, and has been working well.

The Pinguicula laueana plantlets I have going right now. They have been off the mother plant for a month now. I lost one leaf, but it was starting to die off before I plucked it from the plant.

well from what you two are saying my leaves might not root. when the arrived the plant itself was up rooted smaller than a dime and the leaves were scattered all over the pot so i just picked them up and hoped for the best...

yes its a mexican a P x pirouette i believe how do you get it to bud? is it the way im doing it or is ther a special way to do it??

PinguiculaMan is by far more experienced then myself, but I have had good results on live LFS (as in the picture) or moist dead LFS. I have never tried 100% vermiculite.

You can read how PMan does it in this Thread.
I do pretty much the same, but don't use any chemicals. And I keep my plants in window sil planters, not individual pots. And use a 10" bowl covered with a bag instead of in bags. Unfortunatly I don't have the room he does, so I do it on a much smaller scale.

Tho, I'll be building myself a nice shelf like he has as soon as the lumber yard opens up after the holidays.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Dec. 28 2005,1:59)]glider14,

If you are asking about mexican Pinguicula. Your post never mentioned what type of Pinguicula. Don't give up hope if there is any living tissue left at the base of the leaf. I had P. 'Aphrodite' leaves that alteast 2/3-3/4 of the leaf turned brown and shriveled up, but some live tissue at the base still produced buds after that.

PinguiculaMan
smile_m_32.gif

How wet is to wet? My current propigation bowl is very wet, and has been working well.

The Pinguicula laueana plantlets I have going right now. They have been off the mother plant for a month now. I lost one leaf, but it was starting to die off before I plucked it from the plant.
Hard to say exactly what too wet is, other than, too wet is when the leaves rot instead of budding. Too wet varies as other environmental factors vary. For instance: it can go from an excellent moisture level to an unsatisfactory moisture level just by reducing the ambient light level. Other factors that influence this optimum wetness level include humidity, temperature, and air movement.

For me it is best to remember that their environment is a system and everything working together is a synergy producing what the plant experiences.

Back