What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how long until transplant...

how long do i have to wait til i can transplant my ping cuttings? are they supposed to look kinda funny(deformed?).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how long do i have to wait til i can transplant my ping cuttings?

I wait until roots have formed before transplanting leaf pullings. Most of the time this is after the parent leaf has shriveled up.

If more then one plantlet has formed on the leaf, I have never tried seperating them before the parent leaf is all but gone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]are they supposed to look kinda funny(deformed?).

You either need to post pictures or try to describe it better.

What kind of butterworts - Mexican or P. primuliflora? Mexican pngs can be separated more easily and sooner than that of P. primuliflora.

This decision is basically, up to you. I've started and grown Mexican Pinguicula from leaf pullings in dozens of different ways, all with good success. I've sprinkled the leaves on the surface of pots full of media -- no problems, transplant only when they're too crowded. I've laid leaves between trays on the plant shelves -- plantlets formed and I potted them up once the parent leaf had withered away. And many more variations on this same theme.

Most important issues to remember when working with Mexican Pinguicula leaf pullings:
1) Good light helps make stronger plants more quickly than poor light.
2) Keeping them too wet (except when using living Sphagnum) can quickly lead to rot, especially in low light.
3) Keeping them too dry can lead to death of the "parent" leaf before plantlets can form, or plantlets dying before they can create their own root system.

Back