What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. grandiflora

glider14

Always a newbie
is P. grandiflora ok to grow outside in zone 6? and if so how much light does it need to grow in winter and summer months?

I don't know what sort of temperatures you experience in zone 6 but P. grandiflora need really cold temperatures in the winter months so they can have a proper dormancy. In winter light is not so important a they are dormant hibernacula, with barely the tips of the dormant bulbs poking out of the surface of the peat mix. Without some freezing cold periods though they will not prosper. Mine live in the garden in the winter and experience frost snow and temps as low as 14F. In the summer they like a lightly shaded spot so that they don't scorch when the sun is hot.

your temps seem like mine here. its always very cold here in the winter(except this witer where it has gotten up to 70 once!!) and mildly hot in summer. rarly into the 90's.
thanks

P. grandiflora like cool summers (in the 70's) and cool summer nights in the 50's, otherwise they may melt.

Back