What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Enjoy!

<s>P. emarginata</s> Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata (?) flower
70019421O219143388.jpg

The whole plant.
70031878O087669900.jpg

A bunch of <s>P. emarginata</s> Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata (?) leaf cuttings
70032402O194111947.jpg

and the cuttings under a high tech biodome
smile_n_32.gif

70032454O260054327.jpg

P. moranensis - Huautla × ehlersiae flower
70031993O998738547.jpg

and P. moranensis - Huautla × ehlersiae flower & plant.
70032115O426528262.jpg

P. primulaflora. I almost killed this one when I first got it from JimScott. When I planted it in the pot it was as small as the larger leaves on the P. ehlersiae in the pot with it.
70032229O052611641.jpg

P. agnata × moranensis - Huatla
70099660O491065909.jpg

and the flower
70032572O214520569.jpg

70032872O216321032.jpg

That's all for now.
smile.gif

Edit: changed name of P. emarginata to Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata (?)

Nice growing, Pinguicula sure are fun, aren't they. That first plant looks to me like the hybrid, Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata, rather than the species Pinguicula emarginata.

Hmm, got this one from Rose at the last NASC auction. I'll check BobZ's site tomorrow and see what I can see there. If this is a hybrid, it wouldn't be the first plant I got that was mislabled.
confused.gif
It's a beautiful ping none-the-less and the pic of the flower doesn't do it justice.

Misidentified plants, especially CP seems to be a chronic event. Sometimes it can be a positive experience, but usually it is not.

If it's the same clone as mine, I understand your comment concerning the flower. I was unable to capture by photography the true appearance of the flower, to the eye it appeared a very dark lavender, almost black, yet I was unable to capture that in a photo.

oooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i like that P. moranensis - Huautla × ehlersiae

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 19 2006,6:54)]If it's the same clone as mine, I understand your comment concerning the flower. I was unable to capture by photography the true appearance of the flower, to the eye it appeared a very dark lavender, almost black, yet I was unable to capture that in a photo.
Pingman, while I was hoping it was a pure P. emarginata, your description of the color of your flower, leads me to believe I have the hybrid. As you say the color is a slightly darker lavender than the picture captured. It also has an almost velvety appearance which, I think, is not captured by my picture either. How should I change my tag to read? Should I mark it as Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata or should I add a question mark in brackets (?) after "Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata" to indicate the ID is based on something other than knowledge of the actual parentage?

Yes, I do put the question mark in brackets, (?) after the tentative identification of any that have questionable identification, at least until I am certain of their correct ID. It has a very high probability that its correct identification is, Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata, though a good way to be sure is to obtain a representative of the hybrid from a different source, also a different representative of Pinguicula emarginata to compare them with.

The Pinguicula emarginata I am familiar with (I have 3 different clones) are all rather diminutive plants, about an inch, or inch and a quarter in diameter, and the flowers are about 1/4 inch across. The hybrid, Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata is a more recent acquisition -- it is going to be quite a challenge to capture it accurately in a photo. Yes, somewhat darker and with a velvety, iridescent appearance, like a butterfly wing. A very nice hybrid, I only wish it were as floriferous as the Pinguicula emarginata parent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 20 2006,1:58)]The Pinguicula emarginata I am familiar with (I have 3 different clones) are all rather diminutive plants, about an inch, or inch and a quarter in diameter, and the flowers are about 1/4 inch across.
Well the sizes pretty much nails it as not being Pinguicula emarginata. My flowers are about an inch across and the plants are about 2" across.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The hybrid, Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata is a more recent acquisition -- it is going to be quite a challenge to capture it accurately in a photo. Yes, somewhat darker and with a velvety, iridescent appearance, like a butterfly wing. A very nice hybrid, I only wish it were as floriferous as the Pinguicula emarginata parent.
I agree, this one is difficult to capture in a picture. The leaves to me look more green than they do in the picture and they have a lavender edge that the pics only hint at. One of my most colorful pings at the moment.

Eidt: Recalibrated my eyes. The flower is closer to 3/4" across.

Back