What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. planifolia question

I was thinking of growing a P. planifolia plant in a classic terrarium ('bout 5.5 gallons) and I was wondering how big this plant gets. I've heard from 6"-10". So, would this plant be too big for a 5 gallon terrarium? Also, what species of ping would do best in a classic terrarium? (besides P. primuliflora)

-Ben

Ben, it would depend on how the plant responded to your care. P. planifolia can get up to 8 to 12 inches across in its natural habitat. 8 inches is more common, but 12 is not impossible for them. If they like the growing conditions, it would be possible to get a p. planifolia this big. Lots of sun will bring out the red coloration, and the flowers are worth the wait. 5 gallons may be too small for a large plant, but I think you may get away with it. You have to try to know.

Ok, that helps a ton. I guess I'll just try putting one in, and if it's too big, I'll just uproot it and grow it outside.

-Ben

Don't they like it more wet than any other ping?

Cheers,

Joe

Joe, sometimes I submerge the plant. Seems to love it. It is usually then, at its wettest, it gets very large.

Hmm, ok. Now I wanna try to keep my tank incredibly wet. Though, I think only P. primuliflora would like the tank as wet as P. planifolia would like it.

-Ben

Wrong, Ben! There is a depression just north of Sumatra, Florida that is very wet. In this depression is a solid carpet of p. planifolia, red as beets, and p. ionantha. They are growing side by side in the very same conditions. The plants are 8 and 10 inches across, and grow in this depression into the water that flows through it. As much as 4 and 6 inches deep! An occasional 12 inch specimen is found, but 8 and 10 are the usual sizes. The plants growing submerged are almost all very large. They love the wet, and the moving water. A healthy bog is healthy because of the water that runs through it, pulling good ole oxygen into the soil and through it. This really makes for a healthy bog, and very healthy and happy plants.

Cept P. ionantha also gets huge...Anyways, I was gonna order plants from Lee's, so I'm not sure what to get.

-Ben

Randy Zerr has a nice site. I can't find them casually scanning, but there used to be some great pics of submerged P. planifolia. Check out the pics anyway, especially the field trip photos!
I have not checked on him in a while-I should.

Cheers,

Joe

http://www.geocities.com/pitcherplants/

That's a really awesome site! Really cool pics. I found the pic of the submerged P. planifolia. It's in one of the fieldtrip sections. So, I guess I'll just go with two P. lutea, since they're smaller. Maybe when I have more time and experience (plus space!) I'll get a P. planfolia. So, that goes with U. subulata and D. capillaris. All's good. Unless, of course, anyone has P. caerulea?
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

Back