What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. gypsicola x moctezumae

I have a ques. about P. gypsicola x moctezumae. I know that P. gypsicola has to be dry during most of the year but I don't know about the hybrid. When in the year it has to be kept in a dry condition and when in the year it has to be in a damp condition? Right now, it's in a damp condition ( The only healthy ping from hailstorm)?

I don't have this specific plant but all my other gypsicola hybrids have a marked difference between carnivorous and non-carnivorous growth.

And now to throw a monkey in the works. With my moctezumae hybrids the moctezumae parent seems to impart the perpertual carnivorous growth and they never need to dry out.

I would say the best thing to do is watch the plant for cues. If you notice a switch then start to dry it out. When it goes back to carnivorous then start watering it again. If you never see a switch then keep it wet.

So I guess what you really have is a waiting game. see what it does and then play it as needed.

did you get it from california carnivores? if so send an email to peter he would know he has them in stock i believe
alex

So basicially, I should grow my ping as a normal moranensis. Thanks for the advice.

I got my ping from Cook's. I should ask them
smile.gif

You might want to shoot a line to the BestCP guys. I seem to recall they have had this plant on their list for a couple years now so they should know the answer for sure.

Generally, the plants will form a pronounced winter rosette, so you it would be best not to keep them too wet during the winter. I made a cross of this myself and the resulting plants vary in their degree of the winter rosettes(some form rosettes almost like gypsicola while others are more like moctezumae with gypsicola influence).

I got that ping last winter. I kept it in a bone-dry soil, then, after my ig crushed my ping and almost died, I added little water and it seemed it liked it. So since last month, I kept in a wet condition.

I rarely, if ever, let any of my Pinguicula dry out, including the one mentioned in this post. I keep them wet nearly all the time.

I don't know about this hybrid... But i have P. gypsicola and it sits wet in a tray of water with my other pings. It is the second one from the left top row.....
pings4-06.JPG

That picture was taken about 5 days ago.... You can scroll down in the ping forum for a post i made "tis ping season" to see this tray a few weeks ago and how the pings have changed since I've moved them into the new green house with much more light.. Including this particular plant changing form.
Andrew

Back