What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help me rescue this Ping

i bought a ping a be-Lowes i thought it needed to be rescued, but when i un packed it it came ot of the soil, and looks like the roots broke off at about an inche what should i do ?

Many Pings have very shallow root systems - I've heard stories of some Pings that grow leaves so much bigger than their roots that as the leaves age and curve downward the plant is actually lifted out of the soil. Do you know what type of Ping it is? IE, temperate, tropical, desert tropical, etc.? Repot it in the appropriate soil, maybe take a few leaves from it and start them as cuttings, and give everything lots of light and TLC. I don't have any links for Pinguicula cultivation off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can find plenty of info on what to pot it in and how to do cuttings if you search the forum or Google it.
Best luck,
~Joe

if it's from Lowes, chances are it's a p. primuliflora

i've gotten 3 from them this year

well the flower is white with a kinda violet color too it, so if that fits the primuflora profile then that is what i would guess it is, also did the lowes have decent looking CP plants ? the one near me looked like theres where in poor shape, like they where last years shipment .

More than likely, as SpysCspider says, it is P. primuliflora. I would keep the plant hydrated well and out of bright light for a few days. It is probably in a bit of shock.

Pinguicula_primuliflora.jpg

What Joe was referring to is that some Mexican pings can curl like that.

Back