What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do most people grow their pings

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I thought I was doing my collection a favor when I brought the "ghetto" outside. I get one rain that flooded the container they were in and 3 plants (with two flowering) rotted. And do most people use artificial lighting for them or window sill light?

im using all 3 flourecents, south window and outside. all do well. but they tend to go into a bit of shock from being moved from one of the situations to another. its rather rough on a plant to take it from indoors(even if your using a south window) to pure sun. the window actually cuts down on the light levels quite a bit, even more so if they are the energy efficeint ones with double panes and coatings

The previous couple of years I grew mine outside. Some of them (P. ehlersiae in particular) didn't care for the direct sun and sorta melted away to the point of almost disappearing. Others did great and colored up nicely. This year I'm growing them in my window and while they aren't coloring up as much, they are all doing as well or better than last year.

My attempts this year to grow P. primuliforas outside have reduced them to compost, either rotting from rain or withering from TX sun.

2 years ago, however, I had put 2 Lowes plants in an outdoor minibog without adjusting and they flourished under dapple sunlight, sending many plantlets and flowering. <shrug>

I did place my tropical pings outside spring to fall for a year or two. Now I just leave them inside year round.

I grow all my Pings on my windowsills. They are all producing multiple flowers and as BCK suggested the coloring is moderate but not as vibrant as some pings I grew outside last year.

Zac

really? my best color comes from the ones grown under flourecent lights. nice and pink, the ones in the window and outside are green

That's weird my terrarium pings are the least vbrant but that could be due to the humidity in the tank.

Floating in trays of water within 2 inches of multiple cool-white fluorescent lights, year-'round. If I were to put them outside they would experience 5-7% humidity and 100F+ temperatures for the next 3-4 months. The trays of water they are floating in dry out every two days inside the house. I've tried growing some in trays of water outside in the shade, the trays dry out in about 6 hours and unacceptably the pots dry out immediately thereafter, seems to be too much for them to easily adapt to.

the ones i grow inside are in a tray with an inch or so of water in 4 or 5 inch tall pots a good 12 inches(based on soil level) from 4, 32 watt 4 foot T8 fluorecents and they are compact, pink and flowering. the ones in the south window are compact green and flowering and the ones outside, though its only been 3 weeks, are green with no hint of coloring up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ June 15 2006,9:12)]Floating in trays of water within 2 inches of multiple cool-white fluorescent lights, year-'round. If I were to put them outside they would experience 5-7% humidity and 100F+ temperatures for the next 3-4 months. The trays of water they are floating in dry out every two days inside the house. I've tried growing some in trays of water outside in the shade, the trays dry out in about 6 hours and unacceptably the pots dry out immediately thereafter, seems to be too much for them to easily adapt to.
No substrate? Just water? A few of mine rotted from being in the water, along with a bazillion leaves that got scattered. What is different (most significant to success) about what you do and what I experienced?

the most significant differance is he is in AZ and your in NY
smile_n_32.gif

remember Jim not everything works for everyone. one of my healthiest Pings has almost no roots but is happily growing and flowering while "floating" on damp peat just keep trying different things

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 16 2006,11:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ June 15 2006,9:12)]Floating in trays of water within 2 inches of multiple cool-white fluorescent lights, year-'round. If I were to put them outside they would experience 5-7% humidity and 100F+ temperatures for the next 3-4 months. The trays of water they are floating in dry out every two days inside the house. I've tried growing some in trays of water outside in the shade, the trays dry out in about 6 hours and unacceptably the pots dry out immediately thereafter, seems to be too much for them to easily adapt to.
No substrate? Just water? A few of mine rotted from being in the water, along with a bazillion leaves that got scattered. What is different (most significant to success) about what you do and what I experienced?

Not literally floating in water. Most are in pots of media, and the pots are floating, but some are simply floating on the water (without any media but water and sometimes air), and they are Mexican Pinguicula.

Water is not what rots our precious Pinguicula, pathogenic organisms introduced by nematodes is what does that. My hypothesis is that I manage to inhibit nematodes by using high light levels on an extended photoperiod, and especially a light source that is high in UV frequencies, while being low in incidental heat (aka Cool-White fluorescent lamps). Nematodes don't like light, especially UV light, and UV light is also used as a sterilizing agent for microorganisms -- go figure.

See: Pinguicula Diseases

See.. I knew there was a secret to the success! I wish I had the capital to invest in the lighting and racking. Do you think that Mexican pings would do well enough at a window sill (southern exposure), in vessels of LFS? What would be best for P. planifolia and grandifolia? Those are new plants in my collection.

BCK: The pings I got from you 2 years ago did that melting thing when I put them outside. I know what you mean.

Joseph: Aren't most of your plants inside, under lights? Also, as a sidenote, I noticed that we have a new forum registrant, calling himself 'pingman'. Hmmmmm.....

I've seen that some are able to grow Mexican Pinguicula in LFS, but that media has not worked well for me. Yes, all are indoors under lights and actual A/C not evaporative cooling, though I hope to change that soon and install an evaporative cooler to augment the A/C.

Presently I have not had good success with Pinguicula planifolia. I would check with someone else who does well with that species. Do you mean Pinguicula grandiflora? If so, that species does well, for me, under lights with its pots floating in the trays of water. Taking extra care not to ever let its pot dry out and to put them in ziploc bags in the fridge when they are hybernacula.

I think Jim would have a better chance of letting the P. grandiflora stay outside year round. Also, where the heck did you find a P. planifolia Joseph? I've been searching everywhere for one

I do plan to try again with Pinguicula planifolia once I have converted to the more humid cooling method, evaporative cooling. I think I will have a better chance of success, then.

I forgot to add the plants I grow outside. I have right now P. moranensis 'J' and 'G' (is it ' or ", I can never get it straight) and P. "Titan". P. "Titan" and 'J' are both blooming, and "Titan" for some reason went to its suculent leaves last month. I also have P. grandiflora, P. primuliflora, and P. lutea. The last two get brought inside before the first frost and are set in my garden window. The P.primuliflora blooms like crazy every year, and is starting to send up more blooms now. I used to have a P. lauanea but it lost all its roots last winter. Thankfully, I took some cutting of it. Only thing is, they are still really tiny and the rain killed all but one of them
smile_h_32.gif

Back