What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Substrate for primuliflora

• Thread starter CPsInAtl
  • Start date
question for the experts:

what is the best medium for primuliflora? I have it in 50/50 peat perlite. Would it grow better in LFS?

Mine are in straight peat moss, partial shade, and are 5 and 6 inches across. Straight peat always works if kept soaked.

I keep mine in a mix of sand & peat, topdressed with LFS. I get the impression that this plant isn't picky about media. What I find more significant is watering ~once a week or when the container in which it resides is just about empty. This species is prone to rot ir kept too wet.

I have never really had a problem with rot. Mine is in peat with about an inch of lfs. I have water in the big butter tub all the time. It is at the level of the plant usually. Also mine is in full sun so that might be the reason it never rots..... it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.....I will need to repot it for the third time this year if it keeps up this way.

Sunlight definitely reduces the risk of rot, as well as exposure to the air. Our conditions are a little different, but we're achieving the same results. A lot of people either use terrariums and some see cottony growths.

Mine have been the opposite... the wetter the better. Drenched LFS worked best for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 09 2006,5:07)]cottony growths
Well durring the winter, I cut back on the watering because they are in my garden window. That is the only time of the year that I get any growth problems, it is usually just cottony stuff on the leaves from what was fed to it. Also the window gets about five hours of sun, western direction. Now, P. lutea on the other hand, it always struggles durring the winter. Also, what containers are you growing your plants in Jim? Are they like the things you get strawberries in?

Honest, when I've read posts about this plant, some folks have said they just can't keep them alive, just like a D. adelae. This was a typical newbie purchase for me and maybe I just had "beginner's luck" with it.

Anyways, coincidently, at one time I had that rigianl plant in a strawberry container, sitting in Gladware. For most plants I either use typical 2" pots or yogurt containers that I poke holes in or Chuckie Cheese containers, that already have the holes in it or plastic pipette containers, that are of versatile use (seed & gemmae sprouting, triage, general cultivation), and other things that I find.

Here are pictures:

dscn0186.jpg

They are currently in a Home Depot throwaway display tray, with 15 cells, sitting in a Sterilite container, open tray. The lower left shows the primuliflora.

Strausplants002.jpg

Strausplants0281.jpg

Pinguicula_primuliflora.jpg

PipetteDispenserContainer.jpg

AR000102.jpg

Whatever floats one's boat!  
biggrin.gif

this species and adelea i cant grow, beginers plant my arse
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
i have ALOT better luck with Heli's and petiolaris complex dews than i do with primulifora and adelae it just aint fair. good news is attempt #4 on VFT's seems to be working out
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 10 2006,4:42)]this species and adelea i cant grow, beginers plant my arse
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
i have ALOT better luck with Heli's and petiolaris complex dews than i do with primulifora and adelae it just aint fair.
LOL! I rest my case! And he can get a sandersonii blue to flower!

I have grown them in a large undrained pot of pure LFS kept filled with water. It spread well that way. I did that after reading somewhere about someone finding P. primuliflora growing in a mat floating on a creek or pond or some body of water.

Yep, I did exactly what PlantAKiss did. It grew like mad. I put it somewhere a little drier later (I think because someone on the forum said something about rot
smile_n_32.gif
) and it just declined.

Hum thats very interesting. Currently my plant isn't doing anything but who knows. Perhaps if I put in in LFS it would do better. I only have this one little one so I don't want to kill it.

As a next question to those that have been reading this thread, how big of a container do I need? Right now it looks like its just a plantlet. I am thinking that in the morning I'm going to take a yogurt cup fill it wil LFS and go from there. Would there be any reason to grow it anything larger for now?

My primulifloras are constantly reproducing. I pick some of the plantlets out and go around plopping them in different Sarracenia pots and tubs. They pretty much take off anywhere I put them. Full sun, half shade, wet, drier...whatever. The only times I occasionally have problems is when repotting the larger mother plants.

I put mine in a large pot to encourage it to spread...which it did.

Back