What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some new arrivals

• Thread starter guqin
  • Start date
I am not a big fan of pings but I recently aquired these two beauties. I am just wondering whether the P. cyclosecta is in dormancy? Any comments on whether these two look alright?

Pinguicula 'Huahuapan' (=Pinguicula moranensis)
P_huahuapan.jpg

Pinguicula cyclosecta (in dormancy?)
P_cyclosecta.jpg

Ir doesn't look much different than the one received a couple months ago.... and that one sent up a flower stalk.. that aborted. Notive that this species is bluer or darker than all the rest of the Mexican pings? P. agnata is slightly more green than all those others that look like a moranensis.

Have you considered taking some leaf cuttings? I am having good success with plucking and placing next to the parent plants, uncovered, and ignoring them for a couple weeks.

Strausplants002.jpg

So, they are that small ah?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (guqin @ July 16 2006,2:38)]I am not a big fan of pings but I recently aquired these two beauties. I am just wondering whether the P. cyclosecta is in dormancy? Any comments on whether these two look alright?
Pinguicula cyclosecta does not have a dormancy. It has a winter leaf form and a summer leaf form. Many of the Mexican Pinguicula have these different leaf forms, they are called heterophyllous. They do not stop growing, they just grow leaves that have a different shape. They do not have a "dormant" period. To help explain this, see: CP Database on Pinguicula

Yours appears to be somewhat in-between leaf forms.

Thanks, PinguiculaMan! Wish me luck on these two.
smile.gif

I have a question about the P. cyclosecta. Soon after I received one, it sent up a flower stalk. A couple weeks later, that stalk aborted and withered. no changes in its conditions had been made. The plant itself seems fine. Any ideas why the flower aborted and the stalk withered?

It happens all the time, with most of the Pinguicula genus, at least for me. The plants seem to have minds of their own.

I wonder if this happens in their native habitat. Coming from a tropical fish hobby and knowing that a fishtank is and artificial and mildly stressed approximation of nature, which subjects them to statistically more episodes of ich and bacterial infections, I wonder how much the plants are experiencing similar stresses.

Back