What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula planifolia vs. Pinguicula primuliflora

Hey guys. I am pretty new to all this.

I have these two plants next to each other in a mini bog. P. planifolia and P. primulifolia. The planifolia is going gangbusters but the primuilflora has declined from a small vigorous colony to one plant barely making it.

Everyone is probably going to scream but, this bog is a glazed container that I painted roofing tar on the inside to make water proof. The medium is half peat, half sand. I didn't wash either - I'm a dork. The fly traps, sundews and red butterwort are doing fantastic, better than I ever hoped. Sarracenia and the primulifolia are distorted and very unhappy, I moved the sarracenia into plastic (as an emergency measure) with pure long fiber spaghnum because they were dying so quickly. I only use rainwater and distilled water.

Now you know all the details, is my primulifolia really that much different from the planifolia, so much so that it is almost dead?

I've never grown planifolia, but as far as I know about primuliflora, they're supersensitive if not grown in right conditions. If everything's ok, they'll go nuts and keep spreading from their tips, but change the humidity or water a bit and rot can set in in a few minutes...then it's like "STOP ROTTING!!!" and hoping the rest of the plant makes it.

I can tell ya what has been working for me. I have both and they are both in a used DIY plastic display tray, on ein each cell. The soil in sand and peat, with LFS on top. The tray is drained and I water ~once a week. It is at a SE window sill and the temps range from 10's C -> 30's C. P. primuliflora can be a bit enigmatic. There are some of us who can't keep them alive and there of us who have no trouble. I have no trouble unless I put it outside (aphids).

Back