What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrian Pinguicula

Hey everyone, just got back from my german trip. Took a ton of pics, and found a nice stand of Pings in Austria. I have the location and I know it is 1000 meters up. Its in the Tyrol region. We staye in a family run Inn. I was in a big group and found them the night before on a hike. I was jogging down the path and glanced over and spotted them. Of course it was too dark to take pictures. Plus half the group got lost latter on....at night, in the woods, on a mountain... lol. So I took them on the 17th right before dinner. And my birthday, mmm.... cake.... Anyway, here comes the picture
biggrin.gif

*I have only a vague clue what they could be*
Found them growing in a partly sunny location. Soil is a decomposed granite and organic substrate mixture. Pines grew around them. And it was moderatly moist. They were doing pretty good seeing as they grow in a horse/cattle path.
P1010209.jpg

P1010208.jpg

P1010207.jpg

Now here are some close ups.
P1010206.jpg

P1010205.jpg

P1010204.jpg

P1010203.jpg

P1010202.jpg

And here are the rest of the pictures
P1010201.jpg

P1010200.jpg

P1010199.jpg

P1010198.jpg

Do you know what species they are?

I am pretty sure it is of Pinguicula leptoceras

Too bad you couldn't take any home!

I did get a couple seeds, so I hope they germinate. Plus, I spread some of the seeds around the area that they were growing. Also, why is it that you never really see this plant for sale?

I think it's just not very widely circulated. Sarracenia NW has a producing crop of them but I haven't heard of them from any other source or retailer.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dgower82 @ July 25 2006,7:10)]I did get a couple seeds, so I hope they germinate. Plus, I spread some of the seeds around the area that they were growing. Also, why is it that you never really see this plant for sale?
Maybe it's very popular in Europe?

Gr8 pictures.
Thanx for going back and taking the photos, so we all could enjoy your trip .
Thanx again and keep 'em plants growin'
Lois

Great pictures. Love them habitat shots.

Back