What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. gypsicola

flytraplady5

Hort. School dropout X 2
Hey Folks,
It is August and my Gypsy is till in her winter hibernaculum. All the other pings in her grow tray are behaving nciely,i. e summer leaves, flowers and goo. Any suggestions?
Thanx and keep 'em plants growin'
Lois
smile_l_32.gif

My suggestion is pull it to another tray for less wetness until it has carnivorous leaves beginning. You don't want it too wet while succulent.

Curiously, some of my Pinguicula gypsicola produce either leaf form throughout the year. In other words, when growing side-by-side some, genetically identical plants are producing winter leaves and some are producing summer leaves. This has been so since I began growing this species approximately 6 years ago. BTW it doesn't have a "dormancy", just two different leaf forms. I keep mine in trays of water under fluorescent lights on a 12 hour photoperiod year-round.

i have noticed pings can be a bit funny about winter leaves vs. summer leaves at times. I still have a few pings that are just starting to show the summer leaves and it's now August! And boy it's been a hot one so temps can't be the deciding factor. I thought it would the photoperiod that triggers this, but maybe not?
Peter
confused.gif

Thanx guys for all the advice.
Joseph, could you please tell me what soil mix you use?
Thanx and keep 'em plants growin'
Lois

Certainly.

For Pinguicula gypsicola I find that the important thing is to put a 1/4 - 1/2 inch top layer of 1 part fine silica sand and 1 part CaribSea "Aragonite", which is like coral sand. Another thing that helps is to lightly dust the planting hole with dried insects, ground to a powder.

Back