What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula esseriana

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Since first discovering Mexican Pinguicula sometime long ago, I have always greatly enjoyed this little gem:

Only one plant was planted per pot. Some have developed a "crestate" growth pattern (I suspect spider mite influence). I've discovered I can inspire bloom simply by temporarily withholding strong light.

P_esseriana_BobZ.jpg

That would make a neat Christmas present! It has that red & green thing going on.

Those are really cool looking! I wish I had some mexican pings. No space though!

-Ben

and those are all the same exact plant!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
those four are very odd looking... closeup?

The crestate appearance is very interesting! You mentioned spider mites? Do you think these are still infected with mites, or this is a result of it?
My esseriana's don't color up like yours, i guess they could if given more light.
Peter
cool.gif

your SO good at what you do!

Here is a shot of what I call (Large Clone), I received my start of this from Joe Griffin:
P_esseriana_LargeClone.jpg

This is a community tray of the same large clone -- these have begun to bloom while the largest are just 2cm in diameter. This is to demonstrate that small changes in growing conditions can have enormous effects on the appearance of these plants.

P_esseriana_LargeClone_CommunityTray.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pingman @ Aug. 11 2006,1:36)]The crestate appearance is very interesting! You mentioned spider mites? Do you think these are still infected with mites, or this is a result of it?
My esseriana's don't color up like yours, i guess they could if given more light.
Peter
cool.gif
Peter,
I believe the spider mites are no longer in residence, but their initial attack stimulated this growth pattern.

I use cool-white fluorescent lights, presently on a 12 hour photoperiod.

Here are some close-ups of the crestate plants:

P_esseriana_crestate_A.jpg

P_esseriana_crestate_B.jpg

P_esseriana_crestate_C.jpg

P_esseriana_crestate_D.jpg

I've had a similar reaction by my P. lusitanica, except it seems to have been the result of a near-death experience brought on by prolonged lack of watering. I have an undrained container with P. lusitanica and D. burmannii and, for whatever reason the bulk of the plants grew around the rim of the pot. The walls of the soil had compacted away from the sides of the pot, so this was also the part of the soil that was fastest to dry. So, after going a little too long without water, the whole pot was full of crispy critters except for a handful in the middle that had deep enough roots to stay moist. In any case, the ones that came back around the edge have all grown in that 'crestate' pattern, as though they have lots growth points each growing tiny leaves.
Nice pictures, too. P. esseriana is one of my favorites, alone with ehlersiae and some of the other smaller Pings.
~Joe

I have a single P. esseriana that I'm struggling to find room for, ever since all this downsizing I've been going through. It's such a cool Ping that I don't want to give it up, yet once this all blows over I don't think I'll have any space for it
smile_h_32.gif

Nice plants Pingman.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Aug. 11 2006,7:41)]I have a single P. esseriana that I'm struggling to find room for, ever since all this downsizing I've been going through. It's such a cool Ping that I don't want to give it up, yet once this all blows over I don't think I'll have any space for it
smile_h_32.gif

Nice plants Pingman.
Thank you, but ---
smilie4.gif
Actually I'm PinguiculaMan, Pingman is Peter.

Bah! I'm sorry! I'll remember that for the future.

This reminds me of all the people who constantly confuse me with Elgecko
smile_n_32.gif

Great plants as always PinuiculaMan. Are you still using Rootshield? I remember a wile ago you were using it with pullings and transplanting. Have you done tests with and withought?
Thanks Stephen

Must revert to fluoro tubes. Must revert to fluoro tubes... Great as ever PinguiculaMan! I have a small crestate laueana but it's far less interesting than your esseriana!

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sdeering @ Aug. 16 2006,2:28)]Great plants as always PinuiculaMan. Are you still using Rootshield? I remember a wile ago you were using it with pullings and transplanting. Have you done tests with and withought?
Thanks Stephen
My present use of RootShield® is to add a little to my dried, powdered, insects. I add it while I am grinding them in the coffee grinder (electric) and then I use the insect powder by generously sprinkling it in the planting holes when potting-up propagules and when transplanting. I also periodically sprinkle the same mixture very lightly on the surface of Drosera and Pinguicula leaves. This mixture I also use to suppress non-Sphagnum mosses by generously sprinkling it over their surface --- the fluffy white fungus that quickly grows will often consume the moss as well.

-------------------------

As far as testing with and without RootShield® --- the many years I spent growing plants without RootShield® or Mycostop® (another nice biological control product) suffices for me as time spent without these "modern conveniences". I do believe I notice a fair degree of improvement in the overall vigor of plants that are treated this way and plan to continue using these products to enhance the health and growth of my plants.

Thanks for the reply. I have a similar product I am experementing with. Its called Mike. Te active ingrediant is glomus intraradices. So far so good.
Stphen

PinguiculaMan, thanks for the added close ups on the crestate forms. they are very fascinating!

Sorry for the confusion on the names, i picked Pingman before i knew yours. I guess there will be those chances for close names when adopting the CP theme!
Peter
smile_m_32.gif

Back