What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula laueana (CP2) x emarginata

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Those of you growing this hybrid -- have you noticed that the flower is somewhat unique among Pinguicula, in that it is a dark purplish-red that has an irridescent quality similar to velvet. I find that I have been unable to acquire an accurate image of the blossoms using digital photography. I am planning to try to capture it using conventional film, soon.

I have propagated several of these by leaf cuttings -- my parent plant is currently blooming and I plan to try using it to create hybrids, soon.

I just received this hybrid a few weeks ago. It hasn't flowered yet, but I do notice how well it responded to my attic and how well its leaf cuttings strike. So much better than a P. jaumviensis! Can you post a picture?

I'll try to get around to taking a current shot tonight and put it up. I'm up in the Tucson foothills presently at the Ventana Canyon resort where I'm accompanying my wife on her training conference.

The parent plant split its crown at the beginning of this flowering cycle. One flower has faded, one flower has a broken stalk, and one has just opened. The first time it flowered, the flower faded after just a few days, this time each has lasted more than a month, even the one with the broken stalk stayed despite the damage.

Does anyone know who originated this hybrid? Are there other clones that exhibit different characteristics? I believe this clone should be considered/registered as a cultivar.

Jim, if you are reffering to the plant I sent you, it's a Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata (?). The parent plants names are in the reverse order of PinguiculaMan's. However, considering how easy it is for names to get switched on tags, especially by those who don't realize that it can make a difference as to which plant was the seed plant and which plant was the pollen donor, it is possible that these are the same as the plants PinguiculaMan is talking about. His description of the flowers sounds similar to mine and matches my experience with trying to capture it on a digital camara. I posted some pics of it back in February here: Pinguicula laueana x Pinguicula emarginata (?). There are 10 pics of different pings in the topic, so if you're on dial up it, might be slow loading. As you can see, the pics don't match the description given further down in the topic.

I consider myself educated! *
biggrin.gif
Sounds like another 'Gina' vs. 'Tina' thing.

I think I'll stay out of the P. moranensis 'Huautla' topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Subject title corrected, I originally had the parent order reversed, oops.

Here are the requested photographs.

P_laueana-CP2_emarginata.jpg

P_laueana-CP2_emarginata_flower.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice pics! it does look intermediate between the 2 parents. I can see the emarginata in the flower!
Peter

Those flowers look very familiar... but not from a CP.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Kinda sorta reminds me of a violet, very nice!

You got that from me, did you not? I think I got mine from pyro... and on it was Vic Brown's name... If that helps at all. =-)
p.laueanaxemarginata.jpg

Andrew

More accurate photo of flower

Here is a more accurate photograph of the flower, though even this image has been lightened slightly so that the veins in the flower are somewhat visible. It appears that the corolla surface may have the characteristics of refraction as well as reflection, this makes their appearance change dramatically, depending on their lighting:

P_laueanaCP2_x_emarginata_1224_B.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning! :love:

I think P. laueana is defnitely underused in Ping crosses!! More should be done with it. Infusing those red genes could probably produce some nice color variations in its seedlings!
And the leaves are nicely colored to boot.
I'll be the first to trade/buy seedlings when available!
Peter

I believe I have located the originator of the cross that produced this clone. It is Vic Brown, he has admitted responsibility. I am going to discuss with him having this clone registered as a cultivar. It is the darkest, most interesting Pinguicula flower I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Back