What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula hemiepiphytica x moranensis (Huautala)

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Has anyone produced the hybrid, Pinguicula hemiepiphytica x Pinguicula moranensis (Huautala)? Or any hybrid with Pinguicula hemiepiphytica that they would like to share the experience of? I always attempt reciprocal crosses whenever possible, when I attempt hybrids. This time I only obtained successful ferilization and seed development on the Pinguicula hemiepiphytica plant. I just harvested about 30 seed and sowed them promptly. I noticed that the appearance of the seed was somewhat different than other Mexican Pinguicula seed I've seen, these are wider, they narrow near the ends - but very little (were somewhat blunt), and they showed a little bulge on each side, having somewhat the shape of a miniature shark egg case without the appendages on the ends.

Joseph,

From conversations with another grower it seems that hemiepi pollen is only really fertile in winter months/cooler temps. That might explain why you only got seed from the hemiepi.

Back