What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Pinguicula hybrids

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Below is a recent photograph of a community tray of seedlings from a hybrid I created between, Pinguicula agnata (CSUF)♀ and Pinguicula moctezumae. As you can see there is some variation in growth shape and coloration. A few small groups still need to be planted out individually to complete their development. None have bloomed yet, though one is of special interest due to its unique intensity of coloration and leaf shape.

agnata%5BCSUF%5D_X_moctezumae.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!!! Just goes to show how siblings have genetic variation!! Your plants do the same things as humans! Thank goodness we all don't look alike!

HMMMM, I wonder which one he is talking about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (flytraplady5 @ Sep. 12 2006,11:55)]HMMMM, I wonder which one he is talking about.
2nd one from the left, top row.

This being a remake of the cross of Pinguicula agnata (CSUF) x Pinguicula moctezumae, though the maternal parent is different. Almost all of this cross are presently blooming and I am testing them for fragrance and grading them for appearance. I think I can discern a faint scent in some, but will need more testing to be certain. I can already see that the flower of one is truly outstanding in color and form, very different from its sister plants, so far. I will photograph it and its siblings and post them here later today, so you can then see for yourselves.

And back to an earlier question; though some of them have a superficial resemblance to Pinguicula 'Aphrodite', none, so far, match the photographic standard for that cultivar. One in particular has already shown itself to be a great improvement in flower color and form to that related cultivar, and there are several yet unbloomed.

Here is a hastily produced photograph of the clone I favor so far:
agnata%5BCSUF%5D_X_moctezumae_1040.jpg

You can see that the foliage clearly resembles that of Pinguicula 'Aphrodite', but, so far, all the flowers from this cross are various shades of lavender rather than the pink of Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'. The clone in the photograph is larger and a richer lavender, with darker lavender markings in the throat, than its many sisters that have bloomed thus far. By coincidence it is the first one that I had removed from its community tray to display elsewhere in the house. While doing so it was dropped and most of its leaves were broken off. I used them to start new plants, so this clone is already on its way to possibly being a cultivar. A cultivar cannot be a single individual, it must be propagated. What you see in the photograph is the plant after recovering from the loss of its leaves.

I have given this clone the tentative identification of [Pinguicula agnata (CSUF) x Pinguicula moctezumae (Clone A1)]

Last edited:
The flower also reminds me of P. 'Titan', but I guess that's because of the P. agnata. Really nice, though!

-Ben

Hey there Joseph.
I will gladly assist you in cultivating this or any other sister clones of this plant.
Lois

This hybrid I can consider a success. Many have flowered, the flowers of most are very similar, but one stands out. So far, nearly all have some degree of fragrance from the seed parent (maternal). Some seem to even be more fragrant than the maternal parent.

Nice plants!

I've always wanted to try growing that hybrid, because i like it's long arching leaves.:)

Back