What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consider growing them WET - year-round

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I again offer the idea that Mexican Pinguicula do NOT need to be dried off. In the 10-12 years that I have been growing a widely varied and fairly sizeable group of them, more whenever I can get them, or create them -- I have nearly always kept them in trays of water. I have played with the concept of letting them go dry, but not absolutely dry. Whenever I've done this, I often lose some of those treated this way to rot and death. Needless to say, I avoid letting any go dry for long.

Here is a photo of some of my WET, Mexican Pinguicula. BTW, when you see any of my photographs of these plants, you can assume they are sitting in trays of water, they are.

gracilis_x_moctezumae_1.jpg

ehlersiae_alba_1.jpg

That's pretty cool, your plants are flowering too. Do they still go into their winter rosettes easily? Or do you need to dry them a bit and then add more water?

-Ben

I sometimes change the photoperiod, but some clones (most of my different species still represent only single clones) shift in and out of their different leaf forms indiscriminate of season, others rarely produce summer leaves, others rarely produce winter leaves. Most continue to grow and bloom no matter what. I keep trying different treatments, light, media, supplements, etc. Some treatments have rapid and profound effects, some nothing at all.

I too grow my pings in constant wet conditions... Always have. I would assume mostly because of the advice given to me by Joseph... Here are some current (last month) examples: (Notice the top tray is the same as my Utrics
smile_m_32.gif
)

pings8_2006.JPG

pings8_2006_1.JPG

Hey Folks,

The ICPS was so dubious of Mr. Clemens' claims of growing Mexican Pings year-round wet, that I was sent to the Clemens household late one evening to do an on-site inspection.

I recall pounding on the door with my thick-gloved hand. Mr. Clemens came to the door, alarmed and groggy-eyed. Over his protests, I pushed past him, and made my way unerringly towards the humid back room where I knew his plants must lurk.

Indeed, I must report with all due surprise that Mr. Clemens is indeed growing Mexican Pings very wet, much wetter than I'd recommend, and apparently without a dormancy period.

darn, my book is already wrong.

Barry

im trying to grow mine constantly wet on a windowsil...so far they arent looking so hot
Alex

Light, one of the most important ingredients. Don't forget to give them lots of this ingredient, even just short of possibly damaging them. If you can't give them intense light (but not too intense), compensate by giving them a longer exposure to light.

well they are on a windowsill that gets "chopped" sun from the blinds. and they get like an hour or two of this chopped sun and then indirect light for the rest of the day.
Alex

didnt know you couldnt grow most of the species constantly wet.......ive been doing it for the last 4 years very close to Joseph's conditions though with prolly a lil less intense light......thanks for letting me know i was doing something wrong Barry.........maybe i need to read books more closely........ill imediatly go tell teh lil buggers that they arent supposed to be growing as well as they are............. "bad plants, bad, bad plants"
smile_n_32.gif

heres one of my bad Pings that doesnt know its not supposed to be wet year round...............been constantly wet for 3 years now
Untitled-18.jpg

Nice pic rattler_mt, that looks like it could be Pinguicula ehlersiae. A very handsome species.

IIRC its a hybrid with ehlersiae will have to check the tag tonight

Back