What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Booman Floral Ping

The Ping. 'Titan's i have form a deeply set crown of winter leaves. Sometimes it is so deep it is almost buried! What does the very center of your plant look like? are there tiny leaves forming a crown?
If so your plant is going into the winter leaf stage.
Peter

From the appearance of the plant in your new photo, it can, perhaps, need more light than it is getting. In very strong fluorescent lighting mine look like, this:

p_Titan_AB2.jpg

And below in a media not containing calcium:

P_Titan_web_A2.jpg

And another one, very much in winter leaf form:

p_Titan_winter.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I moved the plant to under a floro light where it has to share with the D. graminifolia. Hopefully it will improve over there. I've actually had somewhat better luck growing CPs, esp Drosera, in artificial light. At least my P. primuliflora doesn't seem to mind my windowsill as it has suddenly taken to flowering.

Even with the strange state of my plant, I have found a flower....

It seems that whne the leaves develop, they don't unfurl?

I would recommend you to propagate it as soon as you are comfortable doing so. Then you can see if the plants you propagate from this one exhibit the same characteristics. I began practicing propagation as an insurance policy. If any of the plants I was growing developed any difficulties (i.e. they died), I would have replacements for them.

Things are looking up since I repotted it higher and moved it under a floro light from the windowsill. These plants need more light than some let on I guess.
newleafho5.jpg

Wow, that recovered quickly. I'm glad it's finally doing good for ya.
smile.gif

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CPsInAtl @ Oct. 22 2006,7:32)]Things are looking up since I repotted it higher and moved it under a floro light from the windowsill. These plants need more light than some let on I guess.

The Booman Floral Pinguicula I bought some weeks ago (which I guess is a P. 'Titan' as everyone seems to think), was planted with its crown way too deep in the medium. I immediately transplanted it with the intersection of roots and leaves barely below the soil surface, and the plant has thrived. I personally think that it is good that you raised the plant's crown. Booman's potting technique for these plants, with the crown so deep, would encourage rot I believe. Plants that have no stems, but instead have leaves emerging from a shared crown just above the roots, should almost always be planted with the crown at (or just barely above or below) the soil surface, in my own experience.
smile.gif

A seeming exception to this is the Venus Flytrap, which seems to bury each leaf a little deeper in the soil as it grows. But the Venus Flytrap is different, because instead of a crown, each leaf can produce its own root or roots, and the petiole of the leaf stores nutrition and is protected beneath the soil surface from freezing and drying. So even though it looks like Venus Flytraps have a crown (an area where the leaves seem to emerge from the root mass), they don't really, in my opinion.

But Pinguicula is different. It has a real crown, with roots shared by all the leaves.

I'm sure that there can be argument and discussion about all this, but I'm just expressing my own thoughts and observations.
smile.gif

I think the largest misconception is what their natural habitat is like. It isn't the dark floor of a tropical rainforest, it is near the equator, yes, where the sun come closest to the earth. Though they don't usually grow in direct sun, they get very good light and the photoperiod changes just a little, from winter to summer.

Many may have noticed that they can tolerate, for a while, very low light levels, but they certainly are not growing to their full potential without light levels that will engender robust, vigorous growth.

CPsInAtl -- that smallest leaf is now showing more destinct characteristics of Pinguicula 'Titan', as it grows in my own collection.

Back