What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Booman Floral Ping

I recently purchased a Ping from Wal-Mart that was just labelled as a Pinguicula "hybrid". I wanted to figure out what this was, and I googled it, and apparently, it is P. 'Titan'. They even give a picture of the plant on the card that came with the plant, and the flowers look very much like the pics on the web of P. 'Titan' flowers. (I was very surprised at the amount of info given on the card.) This plant seems to be doing ok, and seems to be growing in pure peat. It is really dewy, and is growing pretty fast. The older leaves kinda curled in a bit because of the brighter lighting, and the newer leaves seem to have a bright, shiny red point on them. Would a pic of the plant help in identifying it if it might not be P. 'Titan'?

-Ben

A picture would help a lot.

If it is from Booman Floral, then it is Pinguicula 'Titan'.

Ok, I though that that's what it would be, but I prolly will take a pic tommorow anyways.

-Ben

Yes, please do. We really like plant pics. Even if they aren't essential.

ooh, someone with the exact same question I have! I love when that happens!

I was surprised to see so many CPs at Walmart of all places. along with this ping I found a Sarracenia minor...which unfortunately was VERY dry, hopefully it will pull through.

hope you don't mind if I post a few pics...sorry to hijack your thread, Ben...I just want to show off the carnage!

2006_0929Image0003.jpg

2006_0929Image0002.jpg

2006_0929Image0010.jpg

2006_0929Image0012.jpg

the flower died...it was a Barney-purple.

I really like this guy...not only is he thriving (the LEAST I could say for any of my previous Pinguicula), but he took care of my little fruit fly problem quite nicely!
smile_n_32.gif

wow...

I have one of those too, but not from Walmart. It hasn't done squat in about 2 months. I wonder if it is dormant. It has leaves, but they don't ever seem to uncurl, but just sit in a bunch near the center of the plant...

Well, here's my guy at about a week or two in my care. So far only 1-2 leaves made, but it's really dewy. (I'm sure Joseph knows what that strange plant in the background is.
smile_n_32.gif
)

dscn2294.jpg

dscn2295.jpg

dscn2296.jpg

And cause I was in the moment, here's my lil P. primuliflora:

dscn2297.jpg

-Ben

I have a P. 'Wartmartis' too. I've had it for about three weeks now. Mine is also really dewy. It glimmers when the morning sun shines through the window.

Here's a picture from when I first purchased it:
PingWalmart.jpg

Here is it today. It looks a bit pale due to the light shinning in the window. It's really just as green as the first picture.
P.jpg

wait....'Titan' has P. giganta in it right? i see 'dew' on both sides of the leaves or is it just me?
Alex

Nope, P. agnata and something similar to P. gypsicola.

-Ben

Drosera36 I have a question: how do you get that nice vienation on your p. primuliflora?

Well, lots of light I suppose. The plant sorta made shorter leaves with some veins in them after I replaced the older bulbs with newer ones, and also increasing the total wattage from 82 watts to now 90 watts, with two 15 watt bulbs and two 30 watt CFs.

-Ben

Yup, that's where I got it from.

-Ben

OK my 'titan' still isn't doing anything. Is this a dormant plant?

titanzx6.jpg

Mexican Pinguicula and their hybrids, contrary to popular opinion, do not have a "dormancy", neither do they have a "resting" phase. Some of them do have two leaf forms, called heterophyllous (literal translation: different leaves), these are generally referred to as "summer" and "winter" leaves, where the summer leaves are larger than the usually smaller winter leaves. Often you will hear that the summer leaves are carnivorous and that the winter ones are not. I have found that this is not at all accurate, and though the larger summer leaves are often better equipped for carnivory, and much more efficient, the winter leaves are not usually entirely unable to capture and utilize insect prey. The exception being, those few species that form their winter leaves as a tight bulb-like bud, beneath the soil surface. These are non-carnivorous, but they are still not "dormant", as they continue to grow new leaves, adding them to the center of the rosette, and many also sent out flower-stalks and bloom when in this growth phase.

Though it is difficult to see clearly, it appears that the crown of your plant may be buried too deeply in the media, it may even have had the crown rot out, but that is difficult to see without additional photographs, from other angles, and possibly unburying the crown of the plant from the media. Since a few leaves appear intact, they may yet be capable of sprouting and regenerating into replacements for the original plant.

However, if the plant is simply forming its winter rosette, which is what I suspect. The crown, possibly visible underneath the central leaf, will appear as a tight cluster of small scale-like leaves.

Thanks for the input. I went back out and dug it up to check on it. The root structure is very, very short, but I didn't see any indication of rot. I replanted it much higher than before, and added a couple half handfulls of perlite for a touch more drainage. The picture is a bit washed out, but is this better:

titandq8.jpg

Back