What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing S. Pings in live sphagnum

I was thinking of growing either P. caerulea or P. lutea in a pot with a kinda thick top layer of live LFS and then with the rest of the pot filled with peat/perlite. Would this be possible? Or would they slowly sink into the sphagnum? What do they grow in in the wild? I've seen several pics of P. primuliflora grown in it, but I'm not sure really on how to plant them into it.

-Ben

the pings will grow into it. i have a mini-bog like that where there is a very thick layer of sphagnum moss then a peat perilite mix below that.
Alex

Yes I grow all of my pings in a straight perlite mixture with about an inch of a live sphagnum and peat mixture on the top and they seem to be doing fine.

Ok, thanks for the help guys.

-Ben

I grow mine in a 50 /50 peat and perlite mix. UC Davis uses a peat and sand mix., not sure what the portions are.
Lois

What do you mean by the term, "S. Pings"?

Okay, now I understand what you meant. But it doesn't fit very well, if you only meant Southern USA, since most Pinguicula come from Mexico, which, of course, is South of us, here in the USA, unless you meant to include them as well.

I woulda said Mexican if I meant them, but I didn't know what to call the Southern North American pings, so I just abbreviated with an "S" and thought people would get it.

-Ben

Ben,
Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on you. I honestly wasn't certain which group of Pinguicula your post was referring to. I now know its those from the Southeastern USA.

Back